The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 04:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ball Pops Up Into The Air ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I would allow a player (count basket, one free throw) moving the ball from hand to hand in a controlled manner, with the ball momentarily losing contact with both hands, but if the ball pops up into the air, and the player grabs it and shoots a second time, no basket, two free throws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
For you BMAC, losing control means no contact with ball by either hand at same time.
Read my complete post. A ball popping up into the air is not the same as a player moving the ball from hand to hand in a controlled manner, with the ball momentarily losing contact with both hands.

I'm not allowing two shots in this situation. They don't get two bites of the apple.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 08, 2018 at 04:33pm.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 04:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Once In Thousands Of Games ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have rarely seen or can remember where such a play has happened ... rarely do they completely lose the ball, then somehow in the air get the ball back and then complete a shot. And this is certainly something that is not frequently happening.
Agree fully. As I said earlier, for me, exactly just once in thousands of games. I even remember the school, the end of the court, and that I was the lead. Had to be more than fifteen years ago, but I remember that play as if it happened yesterday.

Now, where are my car keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 08, 2018 at 04:33pm.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2018, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Read my complete post. A ball popping up into the air is not the same as a player moving the ball from hand to hand in a controlled manner, with the ball momentarily losing contact with both hands.

I'm not allowing two shots in this situation. They don't get two bites of the apple.
Indeed I read it...several times for clarity. I understand passing from hand to hand but that is a form of "control", which is exactly what you indicated. "Controlled manner" is not loss of control. Indeed, a ball popping up into the air is not a controlled manner. I get your point fully.

My line "For you BMAC, losing control means no contact with ball by either hand at same time." was meant to be a general description.

Last edited by bucky; Tue Jul 03, 2018 at 12:41pm.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2018, 05:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

They Don't Get Two Bites Of The Apple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
... losing control means no contact with ball by either hand at same time ...
I did say that, probably a poor choice of words on my part, which is why I clarified my statement with my followup "controlled manner" statement.

Bottom line, players still don't get two bites of the apple.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 10, 2018 at 07:48am.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2018, 07:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Double Dipping ...

Quote:
Bottom line, players still don't get two bites of the apple.
And no double dipping.

Old Mon Jun 11, 2018, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And no double dipping.

An absolute classic!

"From now on, when you take a chip, just take one dip, and end it!