The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Yeah, I think I'd file a police report, too (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103759-yeah-i-think-id-file-police-report-too.html)

dabard Thu Apr 12, 2018 06:13pm

Yeah, I think I'd file a police report, too

Georgia high school basketball game erupts into brawl following call by ref | Fox News

deecee Thu Apr 12, 2018 06:30pm

thats an aau game and not a HS game. the parents should get in a lot of trouble and their kid should get a 1 year ban from athletics. I know "why punish the kids...blah blah blah". But unless the penalties for crappy parent behaviors have some meat and potatoes to them nothing will change.

If I had a team and a parent did this, their kid would be off for a year and could try out again at that time if they wished. I would also let this be known.

Paintguru Thu Apr 12, 2018 06:37pm

Remind me never to read the comments on a Fox News story...eh, just make it comments on all stories....

SC Official Thu Apr 12, 2018 07:28pm

Great example of why not to work this crap. Or at least, a great lesson to be selective about the offseason ball you work.

SC Official Thu Apr 12, 2018 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1020731)
thats an aau game and not a HS game. the parents should get in a lot of trouble and their kid should get a 1 year ban from athletics. I know "why punish the kids...blah blah blah". But unless the penalties for crappy parent behaviors have some meat and potatoes to them nothing will change.

If I had a team and a parent did this, their kid would be off for a year and could try out again at that time if they wished. I would also let this be known.

I'm finding myself agreeing with you a lot recently.

Until repercussions start affecting "the kids" or organizers grow the stones to clamp down on this crap, the parents won't change their behavior.

Kelvin green Fri Apr 13, 2018 03:00am

Not only file a police report but intentional tort for assault/battery... file against as many as possible involved in the brawl. Seek punitive damages and injunction that they never set foot near a game again....Don’t know much about the league but maybe for negligence too... the message has to be sent this type of behavior in unacceptable....take away as much as he can, maybe they’ll get the message.

Raymond Fri Apr 13, 2018 07:54am

If you watch the video carefully, you will see that Red's HC kicks the official while he is on the ground.

#olderthanilook Fri Apr 13, 2018 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1020744)
If you watch the video carefully, you will that Red's HC kicks the official while he is on the ground.

In one of the official's quotes he indicates he was stomped on by the coach that rushed him at center court.

Mark Padgett Fri Apr 13, 2018 02:02pm

If this had ever happened to me (which it never did) I wouldn't file a police report. I'd just contact some of my old buddies from the south side of Chicago (which is where I grew up) to take care of that coach for me. ;)

BillyMac Fri Apr 13, 2018 04:04pm

Anybody Remember Jim Croce ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 1020760)
... contact some of my old buddies from the south side of Chicago (which is where I grew up) to take care of that coach for me.

Somebody like Bad, Bad Leroy Brown? Of course, he lost the biggest fight of his life.