The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAAW Louisville/Miss St (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103736-ncaaw-louisville-miss-st.html)

SC Official Sat Mar 31, 2018 07:14am

NCAAW Louisville/Miss St

Two plays I’d like to see:

(1) the technical foul at 2:42 in the 4Q
(2) the last play of regulation

grunewar Sat Mar 31, 2018 07:31am

These were two very interesting calls at crucial points of the game, that were either made, or not.

1) Personally, I thought the first call of "slapping the floor," made in anger and or frustration was a good "T" made right on the spot by the L. Unfortunately, it was a game changer and #5 on one of the better players for Louisville who was gone for good. Tough call.

2) I thought that was a foul. It even took the Louisville player to the floor hard......while they could have made the rebound to win, I thought they passed on the initial foul.

Rough game with a lot of physical play the officials let go. The announcers were harsh and critical of the amount of contact that was passed on - mostly against MSU's 6'7" center.

IMO, this game, and the following one, UCONN vs ND were two excellent games for the sport!

Raymond Sat Mar 31, 2018 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 1020090)

IMO, this game, and the following one, UCONN vs ND were too excellent games for the sport!

Those two games were too good for the sport of women's college basketball? [emoji16]

I didn't see the technical foul. As far as the layup at the end of regulation I can see why the play was passed on. Defender was running side-by-side with the offensive player and the offensive player jumped right into her armpit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chuga Sat Mar 31, 2018 09:28am

IMHO,

The technical was deserved and assessed quickly and correctly

The no call at the end of regulation was a 50/50 call. The L was on the other side of the lane and may not have seen the initial contact before the lay up attempt.

SC Official Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:59am

As much as we like to say "we don't officiate time and score," we all know that's not 100% true.

Tie game, end of regulation-a foul there has to be high-certainty. It was not anywhere close to an "obvious" foul IMO, and FWIW I'm not even sure I have a foul in the first quarter on this play.

And I had no problem with the T. Some officials might not have whacked there, but if you're a player you have no one to blame but yourself when you do something that causes an official to have to make that decision.

AremRed Sun Apr 01, 2018 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1020093)
Those two games were too good for the sport of women's college basketball?

Pretty sure he meant to type "two".

grunewar Sun Apr 01, 2018 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1020138)

Pretty sure HE went back and corrected it too! :D

AremRed Sun Apr 01, 2018 07:54am

Finally saw the two plays. Foul preceding the tech and the tech itself were good. IMO the Louisville coach should have also been whacked for his wave-offs and profanity following the technical.

Contact at end of regulation is an easy foul. Defender was never in LGP.

AremRed Sun Apr 01, 2018 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 1020140)
Pretty sure HE went back and corrected it too! :D

https://xkcd.com/386/

Raymond Sun Apr 01, 2018 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1020138)

Pretty sure I had an emoji at the end of that sentence.

Raymond Sun Apr 01, 2018 08:53am

I have two supervisors who would fire me for not calling a technical foul on that play.

JRutledge Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1020089)

(1) the technical foul at 2:42 in the 4Q

I thought it was a great technical foul and took courage as well. But then again the official in question has probably worked more Final Fours than just about anyone in NCAA history. So I think she is OK with her place in the game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OFCch0nvwSs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1020089)
(2) the last play of regulation

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YhSmvmWjkIQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very close play. I am OK with no foul if that kind of play has not been called a foul most of the game. Women's basketball often does not have plays like that with a very big player, so I am actually fine with no foul call.

Peace

JRutledge Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:47am

Based on past situations, I am under the impression that the NCAA is not the catalyst for banning videos on YouTube. I think it is about CBS. Something tells me that ESPN does not care about videos that high light plays for the purpose I have made them.

But that could change, but I hope these plays stay up for discussion purposes.

Peace

sj Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:17pm

On the last play the defender didn't cause the contact so it's a good no call. Considering time and score it's a great no call.

Camron Rust Sun Apr 01, 2018 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj (Post 1020167)
On the last play the defender didn't cause the contact so it's a good no call. Considering time and score it's a great no call.

The defender didn't cause contact? You do realize that who causes contact is not the basis for a foul, right?

Either way, in this play, there was contact that came from a defender not in LGP that displaced a shooter and likely impacted her ability to make the shot. At any other time of the game, that would have been a foul. That was only not a foul because they were "letting the players decide the game". :/