The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Copyright issues with YouTube (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103722-copyright-issues-youtube.html)

JRutledge Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:15pm

Copyright issues with YouTube

It appears that the NCAA March Madness site on YouTube is making claims to videos for copyright infringement.

They have done it with two videos for this year that took some time to show the situations requested.

I think what I am going to do moving forward is no longer post videos that take long times. If the video is more than a minute, I probably will not publish it on YouTube at all.

So what likely needs to happen by you guys and your requests, you need to be concise about the request and not ask for situations that might even have a review or long situation to sort out the play. I am going to stick with basic situations like a single call (e.g Block/charge, out of bounds calls, backcourt violations). So request for things like "Show the last 30 seconds...." is not going to get posted in total. I will take plays out of that time and show them, but not post multiple plays or situations.

This is becoming a yearly train wreck that is avoidable. It seems they do not care about certain short videos with plays that involve a single moment, but if there is other stuff they tend to get upset.

I am even willing to listen to lawyers on the issue to allow these videos to be posted at some later time as well. So those that have any ideas or ways around this situations, you can contact me directly for that situation. But it appears only the NCAA is making an issue over the tournament, not the regular season games. I think the other companies like their labeling to be out there. I do not monetize for this site and clearly do not go around asking for more followers in any way outside of just posting officiating videos.

Thanks for the requests and I just wanted to inform everyone the situation if the videos are taken down.

Thanks for your time.

Peace

The_Rookie Sat Mar 24, 2018 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1019669)
It appears that the NCAA March Madness site on YouTube is making claims to videos for copyright infringement.

I do not monetize for this site and clearly do not go around asking for more followers in any way outside of just posting officiating videos.

Thanks for your time.

Peace

Jeff, that's what makes this whole thing nutty..You share with others so that we can all learn from it. Not a Money making en devour an educational one

BillyMac Sat Mar 24, 2018 03:29pm

Mark Padgett Forum Treasurer ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1019676)
Not a Money making endeavor an educational one.

What? Mark Padgett sent me a bill to cover JRutledge's licensing expenses and a small stipend. I paid it by giving him my checking account number, which was easier than the other payment method, sending him small, unmarked bills.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 24, 2018 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1019688)
What? Mark Padgett sent me a bill to cover JRutledge's licensing expenses and a small stipend. I paid it by giving him my checking account number, which was easier than the other payment method, sending him small, unmarked bills.

Where is my cut? The vig is 15.

MTD, Sr.

Mark Padgett Sat Mar 24, 2018 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1019688)

If I really wanted payment for this, I would have instituted a plan that really would have worked. :cool:

I know you're probably not going to believe this, but I swear it's true. Even thought I now live in Portland, I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago and I had three relatives who worked for Al Capone back in the 20's and 30's. Not kidding. My grandfather stayed in the gambling business into the 60's after he moved to Vegas.

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 24, 2018 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 1019694)
I know you're probably not going to believe this, but I swear it's true. Even thought I now live in Portland, I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago and I had three relatives who worked for Al Capone back in the 20's and 30's. Not kidding. My grandfather stayed in the gambling business into the 60's after he moved to Vegas.

I suppose this makes you my bitter enemy. One of my first cousins twice removed is Henry Earl J. Wojciechowski, also known as Hymie Weiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:44pm

Hey, It Happened To Al Capone ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 1019694)
... Al Capone back in the 20's and 30's.

That reminds me.

Now that it's tax season, we all had better claim every single penny of our officiating income, or we may end up in a federal prison dying of syphilis.

It's not a pretty sight.

To prevent this, I recommend the accounting firm that did my taxes, Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.

Thanks to their tax advice, even when I officiate a game in the same town that I work in, I always drive home to get my bag, no matter how far the distance is.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.