The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw In Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103680-throw-question.html)

LeeBallanfant Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02pm

Throw In Question

Watching the Xavier-Texas Southern game, I saw an unusual throw in and wondered if it was legal.

Team B scores
As the ball is still bouncing from the made basket on the court in bounds, A1 while completely out of bounds taps it to a teammate in bounds.

bucky Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 1019048)
Watching the Xavier-Texas Southern game, I saw an unusual throw in and wondered if it was legal.

Team B scores
As the ball is still bouncing from the made basket on the court in bounds, A1 while completely out of bounds taps it to a teammate in bounds.

Legal but sometimes when players attempt this they screw it up. NBA guys perform this type of throw-in frequently.

crosscountry55 Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 1019048)

Team B scores

Arguably careless, but perfectly legal. No different than if a thrower held the ball on the inside of the plane and then made the TI pass.

On a related note, watching UVA/UMBC, I noticed after made VA baskets in the second half that UMBC would inbound the ball and then let it bounce unchecked for a few seconds. UVA wasn’t pressing and as long as UMBC didn’t possess it, the BC count/SC wouldn’t start. Ate up a lot of time (which was the idea). Well done by UMBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1019054)

On a related note, watching UVA/UMBC, I noticed after made VA baskets in the second half that UMBC would inbound the ball and then let it bounce unchecked for a few seconds. UVA wasn’t pressing and as long as UMBC didn’t possess it, the BC count/SC wouldn’t start. Ate up a lot of time (which was the idea). Well done by UMBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is indicative of great coaching, as well as player awareness and discipline.

I noticed it immediately.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019056)
That is indicative of great coaching, as well as player awareness and discipline.

I noticed it immediately.

Indeed. I've often wondered why you don't see that more.

In one case, the ball almost came to a full stop. I don't know why the player didn't just let it be until a UVA defender came along. They could have effectively ran out the entire clock if UVA didn't respond.

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 17, 2018 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019064)
In one case, the ball almost came to a full stop. I don't know why the player didn't just let it be until a UVA defender came along. They could have effectively ran out the entire clock if UVA didn't respond.

I think they didn't want to be too obvious about it. A couple of times when the ball was stagnantly bouncing, the two players involved would appear to discuss something, as if they had miscommunicated and wanted to get something straightened out before they advanced the ball. In actuality, I think it was just really good acting. If you're too obvious about it, UVA notices and then they're pressing after the very next basket. But the way UMBC did it, they were able to do it several times before UVA ever caught on.

Raymond Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1019072)
I think they didn't want to be too obvious about it. A couple of times when the ball was stagnantly bouncing, the two players involved would appear to discuss something, as if they had miscommunicated and wanted to get something straightened out before they advanced the ball. In actuality, I think it was just really good acting. If you're too obvious about it, UVA notices and then they're pressing after the very next basket. But the way UMBC did it, they were able to do it several times before UVA ever caught on.

At which point UVA players started taking the ball and handing it to the thrower in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Altor Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42am

That happened later when UVA was pressing and UMBC was in no hurry to get the ball after a basket to begin the throw-in. But what they are talking about was happening after the ball was released on the throw-in. UMBC would let it bounce in the back court for several seconds before picking it up. That let the game clock run while the shot clock and the back court count were not.