The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Principal Ejects AC (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103664-principal-ejects-ac.html)

The_Rookie Wed Mar 14, 2018 08:52am

Principal Ejects AC

Watching a State Regional Semi Final Playoff game...Hotly contested and very physical game in front of a very boisterous crowd!

AC is out of control..standing and yelling etc. Principal of the school asks AC to leave and he refuses!

At half time Principal requests the crew to eject the AC . Crew tells him, this guy works for your school you can remove him! However, the crew does eject the AC at the start of Q3!

Anyone experience anything similar?

JRutledge Wed Mar 14, 2018 09:25am

The closest thing I have ever been asked to do is to penalize their coach if they get out of hand so they can justify firing them later. I was asked that before a game, not during.

Peace

Raymond Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1018900)
Watching a State Regional Semi Final Playoff game...Hotly contested and very physical game in front of a very boisterous crowd!

AC is out of control..standing and yelling etc. Principal of the school asks AC to leave and he refuses!

At half time Principal requests the crew to eject the AC . Crew tells him, this guy works for your school you can remove him! However, the crew does eject the AC at the start of Q3!

Ejected him for what? Were there free throws shot afterwards? Did the HC lose coaching box privileges?

IUgrad92 Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:29am

Quote:

It shouldn't matter what type of a game this was, I would think the expectation would be that the crew would have already been managing him with rule book based action(s). Way before the request by the Principal.

SC Official Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92 (Post 1018908)
It shouldn't matter what type of a game this was, I would think the expectation would be that the crew would have already been managing him with rule book based action(s). Way before the request by the Principal.

There will always be officials that will say "it's a playoff game" and use that to justify not penalizing misbehavior.

And there will always be officials who wouldn't whack someone if their lives depended on it, regardless of what type of game it is.

The_Rookie Wed Mar 14, 2018 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92 (Post 1018908)

No doubt the crew should have addressed this sooner than they did and their observer told them as much and the crew agreed. A take away for me was that the Principal backed the officials rather than his coaching staff.

pizanno Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:21pm

More details...even more unanswered questions

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/201...ino-hills/amp/

Valley Man Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:41pm

Important details that were missing

Quote:

AC from opposing team is out of control..standing and yelling etc. Principal of the host school asks AC from opposing team to leave and he refuses!

At half time Principal of the host and opposing school requests the crew to eject the AC . Crew tells him, this guy works for your school you can remove him! However, the crew does eject the AC at the start of Q3!

sj Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:55pm

The one guarantee that can be made in these situations is that even after everybody gets to tell their side of the story and to answer all the questions that can be asked the different sides of the story won't match. It's like witnesses to a car wreck.

LeeBallanfant Thu Mar 15, 2018 03:03pm

From the game story a Chino Hills player came by its sideline during the second quarter and started taunting them with foul language that turned into threats, prompting three of his assistant coaches to jump out of their seats.

This is a HS game?

RefRich Thu Mar 15, 2018 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 1018975)
From the game story a Chino Hills player came by its sideline during the second quarter and started taunting them with foul language that turned into threats, prompting three of his assistant coaches to jump out of their seats.

This is a HS game?

Did a playoff game last weekend and there were 5 assistants on the on the bench. With that being said, they need to limit the rosters to 12 players instead of putting 19 players in uniform and trying to get them all in the book.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 15, 2018 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefRich (Post 1018978)
Did a playoff game last weekend and there were 5 assistants on the on the bench. With that being said, they need to limit the rosters to 12 players instead of putting 19 players in uniform and trying to get them all in the book.

Here (Oregon), they do. 12 player only for 1A-5A. 14 players for 6A. Part of that is budgetary. With 12 players, they only need 3 hotel rooms per team and most of the 1A-5A teams will have traveled to their tourneys. For 6A, about 70% of the teams are form the Portland area and that is where the the tourney is...most teams don't need hotel rooms, so the extra 2 players don't really matter.

JRutledge Thu Mar 15, 2018 03:41pm

There was a lot of extracurricular stuff going on in this game. Good lord, I am glad I was not on this kind of game.

Peace

rockyroad Thu Mar 15, 2018 03:52pm

Well, I guess the Principal could have had the Ass't Coach arrested for threatening a player (allegedly) and then refusing to leave the gym when told to do so by a supervising administrator...

The_Rookie Thu Mar 15, 2018 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 1018968)
Important details that were missing

You are assuming that the account in the newspaper is 100% accurate ...It is NOT. It absolutely was the Principal from the school that wanted his own AC removed. The coach is putting on a smoke screen.