The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Getting games and gaining experince (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103662-getting-games-gaining-experince.html)

wwsodeputy Tue Mar 13, 2018 09:06pm

Getting games and gaining experince

Hello all. I am a new official in SE Wisconsin(Lake Geneva area). I've done everything I need to get certified with the WIAA. If anyone on the board has experience in the dairyland, I'm interested in suggestions about getting games and gaining experience. Having refereed/umpired 18 years ago I know I have to pay my dues so to speak and work sub-varsity games but how do I go about getting those games? Are there associations that assign that level or should I introduce myself to the local AD's? How about summer leagues? Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

AremRed Tue Mar 13, 2018 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwsodeputy (Post 1018884)
Hello all. I am a new official in SE Wisconsin(Lake Geneva area). I've done everything I need to get certified with the WIAA. If anyone on the board has experience in the dairyland, I'm interested in suggestions about getting games and gaining experience. Having refereed/umpired 18 years ago I know I have to pay my dues so to speak and work sub-varsity games but how do I go about getting those games? Are there associations that assign that level or should I introduce myself to the local AD's? How about summer leagues? Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

Hey Scott! Welcome back to the profession. A lot of state association websites will have a list of local associations. I suggest contacting the president or secretary of one and finding who the basketball chairperson. They will be able to give you the rundown of how it's done in your area.

Rich Tue Mar 13, 2018 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwsodeputy (Post 1018884)

Scott

In Wisconsin, most games subvarsity games are assigned by ADs, although there are some who give the games to assigners to handle.

WIAA website shows AD contact information on the School Directory page. Email those folks and they will have plenty of JV and JV2 stuff for you to work.

I assign for 24 HS at the varsity level, but only a few in your neck of the woods.

Check out the Stateline Association (do a Google search) -- they might be able to give you insight on who to contact.

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18pm

Oh this is cool. Sadly, I’m moving out of the area this summer, but I was in your situation at about this time two years ago. The only difference might be location (I’m in the Milwaukee metro area although I grew up in Walworth County) and desired games (I was coming in fresh from Tidewater VA where I had a decent slate of three-person games).

Anyway, I have a chance to pay forward some great contacts and advice I received when I moved here, so I’ll try to remember to PM you tomorrow. Welcome to Wisconsin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk