The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 09:01pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Did I miss the Teddy Valentine thread?

Teddy V not invited to the NCAA Tourney due to turning his back on a player. Has nobody mentioned this yet?
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 09:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

No, and his subsequent publicizing this means he's probably done. Maybe he's decided to retire.

Say what you will, he's one of the best of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No, and his subsequent publicizing this means he's probably done. Maybe he's decided to retire.

Say what you will, he's one of the best of all time.
Agreed, but this caused me to lose a lot of respect for him.

But, you're right, there's a reason he got the games he got in spite of what most fanboys think about him.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 09:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There's no reason such a disciplinary action should be kept quiet.

If Collins doesn't make it public, there's no reason Valentine can't, if that's what he wants.

Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If Collins doesn't make it public, there's no reason Valentine can't, if that's what he wants.

Aren't officials taught from day one to not speak/interact with any media? Can't tell you how many times JD and my assignors told us that. It is preached every year at all levels.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 12:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Aren't officials taught from day one to not speak/interact with any media? Can't tell you how many times JD and my assignors told us that. It is preached every year at all levels.

Maybe he feels he has nothing left to lose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

There are consequences for actions. He chose to behave that way on a court in front of everyone. He needs to accept what happens afterward.

For him to whine about not being selected and call it unfair is sad.
It's completely justified that he wasn't selected due to something that he did during a game. It was his conduct without any involvement from anyone else. If he can't accept that, then he should probably retire.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 02:32am
AremRed

JD put him in the Final Four last year. JD didn't include him this year. He publicly criticized JD.

I'd bet he's done.

I'm really interested to see if Joe DeRosa works this year. He hasn't the past two years after allegedly not being very close with JD and competing for the national coordinator job against him.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 05:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Happy Valentiine's Day ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/ted-valenti...005438325.html
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why shouldn't it be kept quiet? There have been Final Four-experienced officials in previous years that didn't make the cut for whatever reason, and I don't remember them going to the media.

Are you saying that Collins should have publicized a list of all the officials that would have gotten in the tournament absent disciplinary issues?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 07:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Why shouldn't it be kept quiet? There have been Final Four-experienced officials in previous years that didn't make the cut for whatever reason, and I don't remember them going to the media.

Are you saying that Collins should have publicized a list of all the officials that would have gotten in the tournament absent disciplinary issues?

I think my problem with the whole thing is that someone is lying in the Yahoo article.

Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

We don't know all of the facts. What we do appear to know is that Teddy Valentine talked to ESPN on Monday (who reached out to who is unclear).

I agree with Rich that if JD doesn't want to publicly comment (and I agree with his actions of not doing so), Teddy has every right to do so on his own. But there's a right way and a wrong way to talk to ESPN.

Working in the tournament is a privilege, not a right. Teddy seems to have forgotten that at the moment. He might have said to ESPN, "While I disagree with and am disappointed by my exclusion, I understand the context of JD's decision and I respect it." If he says that, he's probably right back in the Final Four next year. But he didn't say that. This is unfortunate both for Teddy and the game. But Teddy is not bigger than the game, and the game will go on, with or without him.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
We don't know all of the facts. What we do appear to know is that Teddy Valentine talked to ESPN on Monday (who reached out to who is unclear).

I agree with Rich that if JD doesn't want to publicly comment (and I agree with his actions of not doing so), Teddy has every right to do so on his own. But there's a right way and a wrong way to talk to ESPN.

Working in the tournament is a privilege, not a right. Teddy seems to have forgotten that at the moment. He might have said to ESPN, "While I disagree with and am disappointed by my exclusion, I understand the context of JD's decision and I respect it." If he says that, he's probably right back in the Final Four next year. But he didn't say that. This is unfortunate both for Teddy and the game. But Teddy is not bigger than the game, and the game will go on, with or without him.

He's 59.

But those that say he's terrible, etc. are just delusional. 29 tournaments and 10 Final Fours. You don't get that by being terrible.

Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:57am
AremRed

Quote:
29 tournaments and 10 Final Fours.
What was your source on this? I looked last night and found 7 as his number of Final Fours in an article.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 09:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I think my problem with the whole thing is that someone is lying in the Yahoo article.

In another article I read, it appeared that JD's statement was not in regards to discussing the decision with TV, but that JD doesn't discuss selections with the press or general public.