The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 09:01pm
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,364
Did I miss the Teddy Valentine thread?

Teddy V not invited to the NCAA Tourney due to turning his back on a player. Has nobody mentioned this yet?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 09:02pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,470
No, and his subsequent publicizing this means he's probably done. Maybe he's decided to retire.

Say what you will, he's one of the best of all time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No, and his subsequent publicizing this means he's probably done. Maybe he's decided to retire.

Say what you will, he's one of the best of all time.
Agreed, but this caused me to lose a lot of respect for him.

But, you're right, there's a reason he got the games he got in spite of what most fanboys think about him.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 09:36pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,470
There's no reason such a disciplinary action should be kept quiet.

If Collins doesn't make it public, there's no reason Valentine can't, if that's what he wants.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There's no reason such a disciplinary action should be kept quiet.

If Collins doesn't make it public, there's no reason Valentine can't, if that's what he wants.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Aren't officials taught from day one to not speak/interact with any media? Can't tell you how many times JD and my assignors told us that. It is preached every year at all levels.
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 12:49am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Aren't officials taught from day one to not speak/interact with any media? Can't tell you how many times JD and my assignors told us that. It is preached every year at all levels.

Maybe he feels he has nothing left to lose.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 01:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,276
There are consequences for actions. He chose to behave that way on a court in front of everyone. He needs to accept what happens afterward.

For him to whine about not being selected and call it unfair is sad.
It's completely justified that he wasn't selected due to something that he did during a game. It was his conduct without any involvement from anyone else. If he can't accept that, then he should probably retire.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 02:32am
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,398
JD put him in the Final Four last year. JD didn't include him this year. He publicly criticized JD.

I'd bet he's done.

I'm really interested to see if Joe DeRosa works this year. He hasn't the past two years after allegedly not being very close with JD and competing for the national coordinator job against him.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 05:51am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 16,884
Happy Valentiine's Day ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/ted-valenti...005438325.html
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 06:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There's no reason such a disciplinary action should be kept quiet.

If Collins doesn't make it public, there's no reason Valentine can't, if that's what he wants.
Why shouldn't it be kept quiet? There have been Final Four-experienced officials in previous years that didn't make the cut for whatever reason, and I don't remember them going to the media.

Are you saying that Collins should have publicized a list of all the officials that would have gotten in the tournament absent disciplinary issues?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 07:48am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Why shouldn't it be kept quiet? There have been Final Four-experienced officials in previous years that didn't make the cut for whatever reason, and I don't remember them going to the media.



Are you saying that Collins should have publicized a list of all the officials that would have gotten in the tournament absent disciplinary issues?

I think my problem with the whole thing is that someone is lying in the Yahoo article.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,284
We don't know all of the facts. What we do appear to know is that Teddy Valentine talked to ESPN on Monday (who reached out to who is unclear).

I agree with Rich that if JD doesn't want to publicly comment (and I agree with his actions of not doing so), Teddy has every right to do so on his own. But there's a right way and a wrong way to talk to ESPN.

Working in the tournament is a privilege, not a right. Teddy seems to have forgotten that at the moment. He might have said to ESPN, "While I disagree with and am disappointed by my exclusion, I understand the context of JD's decision and I respect it." If he says that, he's probably right back in the Final Four next year. But he didn't say that. This is unfortunate both for Teddy and the game. But Teddy is not bigger than the game, and the game will go on, with or without him.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:20am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
We don't know all of the facts. What we do appear to know is that Teddy Valentine talked to ESPN on Monday (who reached out to who is unclear).



I agree with Rich that if JD doesn't want to publicly comment (and I agree with his actions of not doing so), Teddy has every right to do so on his own. But there's a right way and a wrong way to talk to ESPN.



Working in the tournament is a privilege, not a right. Teddy seems to have forgotten that at the moment. He might have said to ESPN, "While I disagree with and am disappointed by my exclusion, I understand the context of JD's decision and I respect it." If he says that, he's probably right back in the Final Four next year. But he didn't say that. This is unfortunate both for Teddy and the game. But Teddy is not bigger than the game, and the game will go on, with or without him.


He's 59.

But those that say he's terrible, etc. are just delusional. 29 tournaments and 10 Final Fours. You don't get that by being terrible.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:57am
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
29 tournaments and 10 Final Fours.
What was your source on this? I looked last night and found 7 as his number of Final Fours in an article.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 09:15am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think my problem with the whole thing is that someone is lying in the Yahoo article.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
In another article I read, it appeared that JD's statement was not in regards to discussing the decision with TV, but that JD doesn't discuss selections with the press or general public.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TV Teddy Valentine... calls T with 1 sec left maroonx Basketball 8 Thu Nov 19, 2015 04:08pm
Teddy Valentine(edited) kwv001 Basketball 67 Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:29pm
Teddy Valentine youngref33 Basketball 13 Fri Jan 14, 2011 05:31pm
Teddy Strikes Again! Stripes33 Basketball 23 Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:49pm
Teddy V was correct redoubtable1 Basketball 81 Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:49am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1