The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jay Bilas (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103635-jay-bilas.html)

Zoochy Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:37pm

Jay Bilas

I am tired of him bashing the officiating. He also thinks he is GOD on rules knowledge. He needs to go away.

AremRed Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:19am

Agreed. He was insufferable during the UNC-Miami game tonight. Three separate occasions went out of the way to criticize the rules and officials rulings on the floor and after replay. And he was incorrect almost every time.

JRutledge Fri Mar 09, 2018 01:20am

This took the damn cake.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hxC8LVAE8dY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Rufus Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:30pm

But he went to Doooookkkkk

So he must be smarter than all us dumb referees, right?

Zoochy Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 1018562)
So he must be smarter than all us dumb referees, right?

He earned a BS in talking

crosscountry55 Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46pm

I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard during a camp a few years back---from the NCAAW rules editor, no less---that he was actually on one of the rules committees (or at least he was at the time). So he knows this stuff, and he probably also knows he's full of buck shot. But his antics equal ratings; apparently viewers would prefer announcers that bash officials over ones that accurately explain rules.

MechanicGuy Fri Mar 09, 2018 01:00pm

I would pay a not insignificant amount of money to watch him and all his expertise officiate a high level game.

Hell, I'd like to see him officiate a high school game. It would be awfully entertaining.

Zoochy Fri Mar 09, 2018 01:13pm

Aren't Coaches fined if they make negative comments about referees? Or is that only at the professional sports?
Does Jay just get to spew out whatever he likes w/o repercussion?

RefRich Fri Mar 09, 2018 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1018570)
Aren't Coaches fined if they make negative comments about referees? Or is that only at the professional sports?

Does anyone remember Dicky V? He was just as bad if not worse in many cases. Bilas is not new, he's just the latest version.

rockyroad Fri Mar 09, 2018 02:00pm

I would rather listen to Bilas than Bill Walton!

AremRed Fri Mar 09, 2018 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1018570)

Jay is a commentator and analyst, he is not subject to any sport governing body which would have rules on criticizing officiating. Jay only reports to his network, who I doubt care very much.

frezer11 Fri Mar 09, 2018 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 1018578)
I would rather listen to Bilas than Bill Walton!

I didn't think I preferred Bilas over anyone, but you're right on this one!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 09, 2018 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1018567)
I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard during a camp a few years back---from the NCAAW rules editor, no less---that he was actually on one of the rules committees (or at least he was at the time). So he knows this stuff, and he probably also knows he's full of buck shot. But his antics equal ratings; apparently viewers would prefer announcers that bash officials over ones that accurately explain rules.

Jay Bilas has never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) sat on the NCAA Rules Committee of any sport.

MTD, Sr.

Randa16 Sat Mar 10, 2018 06:42pm

Only watched him do KU games and going to be honest most of the time he is right. The refs have been horrible this year and should be called out

JRutledge Sat Mar 10, 2018 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randa16 (Post 1018635)
Only watched him do KU games and going to be honest most of the time he is right. The refs have been horrible this year and should be called out

Please, he was wrong in past years and he was wrong today. He was really wrong in that game. He even talked about a play that was "over the back" but the official called a push.

Is it fanboy season yet?

Peace