The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical or not? NCAAM (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103613-technical-not-ncaam.html)

billyu2 Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:32pm

Technical or not? NCAAM

About a minute and a half into the start of the OSU-Penn St. game a PSU player was fouled in the act of shooting. While the ball was on/within the rim a a teammate of the shooter grasped the rim and it didn’t appear to be any risk of possible injury. The officials cancelled the basket for the BI and gave the shooter 2 free throws but there was no technical foul. Is the NCAA rule different? JRut. could you possibly post the replay?

deecee Sat Mar 03, 2018 01:07pm

It has to be pretty blatant and outlandish to EVEN consider a T at the D1 level.

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 03, 2018 06:44pm

Just because something anomalous is happening at the HS level in Maine doesn’t mean these are somehow missed technicals at every other level of the game everywhere.

Based on your description, sounds like textbook penalty administration. Nothing to discuss here. Let’s move along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Sat Mar 03, 2018 07:04pm

NCAAM's rule on that says something such as grasp in an emphatic manner.

frezer11 Sun Mar 04, 2018 07:07pm

With a disclaimer that I haven't seen the video, based on the description, I think if they called BI, then it could be pretty easily argued that it was considered a put-back attempt, and therefore no T to consider.

JRutledge Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 1018136)
About a minute and a half into the start of the OSU-Penn St. game a PSU player was fouled in the act of shooting. While the ball was on/within the rim a a teammate of the shooter grasped the rim and it didn’t appear to be any risk of possible injury. The officials cancelled the basket for the BI and gave the shooter 2 free throws but there was no technical foul. Is the NCAA rule different? JRut. could you possibly post the replay?

I am sorry, but I looked all over your description and I cannot find a foul and BI situation that you described. Was this in the first half?

Peace

billyu2 Mon Mar 05, 2018 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1018159)
I am sorry, but I looked all over your description and I cannot find a foul and BI situation that you described. Was this in the first half?

Peace

Yes, 1st Half. Game had just started. I think I remember 18:29 remaining shortly after play resumed. Was in a sports bar/grill and couldn’t hear what the announcers were saying.

JRutledge Mon Mar 05, 2018 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 1018163)
Yes, 1st Half. Game had just started. I think I remember 18:29 remaining shortly after play resumed. Was in a sports bar/grill and couldn’t hear what the announcers were saying.

Here is the play. You were close. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JSBBawvEHmo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

JRutledge Mon Mar 05, 2018 09:44am

For the record, I would never call this a technical in high school. He mainly touches the rim. He does not really grab the rim. But if he did for some reason, he is flying at a player that is on the floor while out of bounds and you can tell he has to think about his land. So that alone would not make me call this a technical foul.

I do not call a technical anytime a player uses profanity but those are also not a distinction in the rulebook as to when or how. The profanity for me has to be egregious or very loud or likely towards an opponent. But if a player falls down and hurts their knee very badly, I would not give a T if they said some words out loud as they are in pain. This at best is a touch of the rim. It was a great call too BTW.

Finally, I would rule the exact same in both high school and college if this play happened. Call the obvious.

Peace

Camron Rust Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:32am

BI...no T.

billyu2 Mon Mar 05, 2018 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1018170)
BI...no T.

Yep, I agree. What I saw in the bar was the slo-mo replay and that looked like a pretty good grasp. (Not saying how many beers I had at that point) But at regular speed it looks pretty insignificant but still BI. Thanks so much JRut for taking the time to find and post the play. Appreciate it!