The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw In After Made Basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103581-throw-after-made-basket.html)

The_Rookie Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02am

Throw In After Made Basket

A1 has a throw in after a made basket by B2.

A2 jumps from the court to catch the throw in from A1 and lands out of bounds on the endline. Is this a legal play?

Is A2 required to be out of bounds when the throw in starts to be a legal play?

Rich Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1017778)

A2 jumps from the court to catch the throw in from A1 and lands out of bounds on the endline. Is this a legal play?

A2's status is inbounds until he lands out of bounds. So if A2 catches in the air and steps on the line, it's an out of bounds violation.

BillyMac Sat Feb 24, 2018 02:55pm

It's True, It's True ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1017779)
A2's status is inbounds until he lands out of bounds. So if A2 catches in the air and steps on the line, it's an out of bounds violation.

Agree.

You are where you are until you get where you're going.

I believe that that was one of Dr. James Naismith's original thirteen basketball rules. He came up with the rule in 1891 after a suggestion by his good friend Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

BillyMac Sat Feb 24, 2018 02:59pm

Throwin ...

Quote:

I don't believe so, he must be out of bounds when he catches the ball, as long as it's within five seconds after the throwin count begins.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 24, 2018 06:04pm

Quote:

It's an OOB violation, not a TI violation

Quote:

No

Nevadaref Sun Feb 25, 2018 03:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1017807)
It's an OOB violation, not a TI violation

If the passed ball was touched on the out of bounds side of the boundary plane, then this is a TI violation.

deecee Sun Feb 25, 2018 07:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1017827)
If the passed ball was touched on the out of bounds side of the boundary plane, then this is a TI violation.

Citation please. If the ball isn't touched during and thrown in and goes OOB then I agree. But here the ball is touched, the player just happens to be OOB. Can't remember, and don't have my case book handy, if there is a case play on this.

Secondly if it's after a made basket and the player is legally OOB on the endline then it's no violation as all as this is a legal play.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 25, 2018 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1017830)
Citation please. If the ball isn't touched during and thrown in and goes OOB then I agree. But here the ball is touched, the player just happens to be OOB. Can't remember, and don't have my case book handy, if there is a case play on this.

Secondly if it's after a made basket and the player is legally OOB on the endline then it's no violation as all as this is a legal play.

Wrong again, junior. 9-2-3

bob jenkins Sun Feb 25, 2018 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1017827)

Agreed. That wan't how I read the OP, but re-reading it, I see it wasn't clear.

deecee Sun Feb 25, 2018 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1017833)
Wrong again, junior. 9-2-3

Thanks. Although the wording implies that the ball must cross onto the playing court as to make this a violation if the ball doesn't cross the plane of the throw in boundary line that the throw is happening on. The exception even is for throw ins after made baskets which ONLY apply to the same boundary as the throw in.

I always interpreted this to imply that the thrown in MUST first cross from OOB to IB otherwise its a violation. This doesn't say that ball cannot be first touched by a teammate that is simply OOB. Thoughts?

ART. 3 . . .
The thrown ball shall not be touched by a teammate of the thrower while the ball is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane, except as in 7-5-7.