The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

West Virginia @ Kansas plays -Additional (Video)

Play #1:

Play #2:

Play #3:

Play #4: (Ejection video coming - I cannot believe no one told me about this)

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Feb 21, 2018 at 02:16pm.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Looked like good calls (or correct no calls) on all of them.

The elbow to the face appeared incidental, which occurred after the initial foul so it would be ignored (assuming college rules are similar to NFHS).

I couldn't tell what Huggins did to get the first T but I have no doubt it was deserved.

Last edited by HokiePaul; Wed Feb 21, 2018 at 02:37pm.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Looked like good calls (or correct no calls) on all of them.

The elbow to the face appeared incidental, which occurred after the initial foul so it would be ignored (assuming college rules are similar to NFHS).

I couldn't tell what Huggins did to get the first T but I have no doubt it was deserved.
Yes, the rule is basically the same. I think there was a video review to make sure that it was nothing else considering he was hit in the face. Possible Flagrant Foul issue, but not called after the review of course.

I am sure everything was about his mouth. His actions or body language did not do anything that I would think would result in a T. So clearly he used language to the Lead who called the first T and was involved in the play in question.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes, the rule is basically the same. I think there was a video review to make sure that it was nothing else considering he was hit in the face. Possible Flagrant Foul issue, but not called after the review of course.

I am sure everything was about his mouth. His actions or body language did not do anything that I would think would result in a T. So clearly he used language to the Lead who called the first T and was involved in the play in question.

Peace
Curious about mechanics. He blows his whistle and signals Huggins out. Does he need to blow the whistle there since play is dead, or could he have just signaled? Seems to me the whistle is unnecessary (though I confess to coming from the soccer bias that less is more when it comes to using the whistle).
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 04:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Curious about mechanics. He blows his whistle and signals Huggins out. Does he need to blow the whistle there since play is dead, or could he have just signaled? Seems to me the whistle is unnecessary (though I confess to coming from the soccer bias that less is more when it comes to using the whistle).
Every foul has a whistle. So if you are giving a Technical Foul, you need a whistle as a general rule.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Rut. Good videos...

Play #3: Anyone else have a 2 shot foul? It appears based on his follow through that the fouled player is attempting to tap the ball into his basket (part of the definition of a try). Very difficult to see in real time.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2018, 05:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
Thanks, Rut. Good videos...

Play #3: Anyone else have a 2 shot foul? It appears based on his follow through that the fouled player is attempting to tap the ball into his basket (part of the definition of a try). Very difficult to see in real time.
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. I do not think it is that hard to see in real time, I think many officials hardly call it that way.

Peace