The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Cheerleader - Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103543-cheerleader-interference.html)

chet_hoyt Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45am

Cheerleader - Interference

Hypothetical situation....middle school game, and a cheerleader representing the blue team is standing with her foot partially on the court. A player from the red team makes a dribble move toward the basket, trips on her foot and loses the ball. The ball never touches the cheerleader. What is the call?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chet_hoyt (Post 1017251)
Hypothetical situation....middle school game, and a cheerleader representing the blue team is standing with her foot partially on the court. A player from the red team makes a dribble move toward the basket, trips on her foot and loses the ball. The ball never touches the cheerleader. What is the call?

Team Red will receive the Ball for a Designated Spot Throw-in. The Blue Cheerleader Coach and the Blue Cheerleader will receive a stern discussion about staying off the Court except for Full TOs.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. And welcome to the Forum.

jTheUmp Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1017279)
Team Red will receive the Ball for a Designated Spot Throw-in.

I concur.

Quote:

The Blue Cheerleader Coach and the Blue Cheerleader will receive a stern discussion about staying off the Court except for Full TOs.
I'd probably also add in "Blue Cheerleaders will be moved to a location many many feet away from the court for the remainder of the game", but that's just me.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:08pm

Quote:

According to my wife, the player and the cheerleader end up getting married, with the referees on the game serving as co-officiants.

She's been watching too many Lifetime movies.

Amesman Fri Feb 16, 2018 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1017288)
According to my wife, the player and the cheerleader end up getting married, with the referees on the game serving as co-officiants.

Wait, wasn't this an earlier thread here?

Lcubed48 Fri Feb 16, 2018 09:27pm

Quote:

Always listen to Bob's wife! Yes dear! 😁😁

paulsonj72 Sun Feb 18, 2018 02:18pm

Quote:

Or Hallmark Channel Holiday movies. :D

BillyMac Sun Feb 18, 2018 02:28pm

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year ...

Quote:

Cheerleader - Interference

With spring training already taking place, and with a wink and a nod to our baseball umpire colleagues, is it interference, or obstruction?

Lcubed48 Tue Feb 20, 2018 05:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1017399)
With spring training already taking place, and with a wink and a nod to our baseball umpire colleagues, is it interference, or obstruction?

In softball, it's obstruction if the defense violates, and interference if the offense violates.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 20, 2018 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1017399)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcubed48 (Post 1017468)
In softball, it's obstruction if the defense violates, and interference if the offense violates.

It is the same in baseball.

MTD, Sr.

LRZ Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35am

In baseball, "obstruction if the defense violates, and interference if the offense violates."

This is why threads never die--someone always has an addendum: catcher's interference.