The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tech on a DOG (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103541-tech-dog.html)

The_Rookie Fri Feb 16, 2018 09:47am

Tech on a DOG

Playoff game...In Q1 a DOG issued on Team B for Boundary Line Violation on Throw In.. In Q3 B1 called for a travel and shoots the ball after the whistle and ball lodges.

You calling second DOG for this act and resulting Tech or do you have a word with the player to knock it off?

Thanks!

bob jenkins Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1017229)
Playoff game...In Q1 a DOG issued on Team B for Boundary Line Violation on Throw In.. In Q3 B1 called for a travel and shoots the ball after the whistle and ball lodges.

You calling second DOG for this act and resulting Tech or do you have a word with the player to knock it off?

Thanks!

You're mixing up two different "delay of game" items.

The DOG warning for Boundary Line Violation is on of four items that creates a warning. Any further violation of any of these four results in a T.

Other types of delays are not covered by the warning -- so what you do with the shot / lodged ball has (by rule) nothing to do with the previous DOG warning.

I would treat it as it's own occurrence and base it on whether the team had been previously talked to, or had been not giving the ball to an official, and how much time elapsed between the whistle and the "shot," etc.

Nevadaref Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:19am

The second one is not a DOG warning. It is a straight whack to the player.

jas4yf Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1017238)
The second one is not a DOG warning. It is a straight whack to the player.

Yep. 10-4-5b ... by rule it's supposed to be a player tech anytime a player shoots the ball in this manner - though I think most of us use our judgement and warn the kid not to do it again.

I do think you would be even more justified giving the Technical immediately when it lodges given this actually will now cause a delay and the opposing coach is likely to have a justified argument when he starts yelling "That's a T!"

BillyMac Fri Feb 16, 2018 06:56pm

It's The Year Of The Dog, Happy New Year ...

I have to remember to write Year of the Dog on my checks instead of Year of the Rooster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1017233)
The DOG warning for Boundary Line Violation is on of four items that creates a warning. Any further violation of any of these four results in a T.

NFHS 4-47: A warning to a team for delay is an administrative procedure by an official which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the coach:
ART. 1 For throw-in plane violations, as in 9-2-10, 10-1-5c.
ART. 2 For huddle by either team and contact with the free thrower, as in
10-1-5d.
ART. 3 For interfering with the ball following a goal as in 10-1-5e.
ART. 4 For failure to have the court ready for play following any time-out
as in 10-1-5f.

Wait? Was I supposed to post this citation? Did I give the poster enough time to look it up himself?