The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
For reference the call was made on white #4.
OK ,good. Thanks for clarification. I simply could not see on whom the foul was called. Now, given that #4 actually committed the foul, C should have just called it. I do not like L calling it on #4 as it is too straightlined. Whateves...
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

my $.02 :

1. that seems like a ticky tac travel but was technically right I guess.

2. I don't like that call but I don't hate it. Is this one that would have been called in the 1st quarter? I would say no, but this official had the best angle in the house and he did touch the off arm.

3. #4 fouled him. While I think the call was right, I do not like the L's position, that play was coming up the C side of the court the whole way, seems like L should have already turned that corner by the time the contact happened.

Great finish!
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
my $.02 :

Great finish!
It may be a "ticky-tack" travel call, but if you don't call it then you have to call an RA block on the defender. Is that the right thing to do, ignore a travel and call the subsequent block?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Play #1- I have the feet coming down simultaneously after the catch so either may be the pivot, which I have as the right foot and no travel.

Play #2- Contact with the right arm of the defender on the chest of an airborne shooter. Good call, poor closeout.

Play #3- Great get on #4. One of those plays where everyone in the gym thinks it on 32 because they are watching as fans and have no clue what officiating is about and refereering the whole play.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It may be a "ticky-tack" travel call, but if you don't call it then you have to call an RA block on the defender. Is that the right thing to do, ignore a travel and call the subsequent block?
I can’t believe the poobahs really want travels called when the feet are millinanoseconds from touching simultaneously.

If you’re shaving it that close, then Blueitt travels prior to the entry pass.

Last edited by Jesse James; Tue Feb 13, 2018 at 11:29am.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
I can’t believe the poobahs really want travels called when the feet are millinanoseconds from touching simultaneously.

If your shaving it that close, then Blueitt travels prior to the entry pass.
So ignore the traveling, call the block?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So ignore the traveling, call the block?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Unless you want to be consistent, and grab every spin-move, and every jump stop that’s the least bit sloppy, and every gather on a dunk, and triple your whistle count for the night—then I’d say get the block

Last edited by Jesse James; Tue Feb 13, 2018 at 11:38am.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 11:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
my $.02 :

Then you have to call a block/charge immediately after this play. That is the reason I posted the play. It was not just a play that was only a travel, it involved contact that took place right after the move. It is a dilemma, but it is something that has to consider. There are many times when we call a foul but we miss the travel that took place before. And I am not really saying that you should call the travel, just stating it appears he did travel.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then you have to call a block/charge immediately after this play. That is the reason I posted the play. It was not just a play that was only a travel, it involved contact that took place right after the move. It is a dilemma, but it is something that has to consider. There are many times when we call a foul but we miss the travel that took place before. And I am not really saying that you should call the travel, just stating it appears he did travel.

Peace
I get it. And what I'm saying is we are on here arguing whether it was a travel or it wasn't. Would anyone argue that there was a foul on the defender following the "travel"? I'm going to say no. Now if the whole gym sees him travel get the travel, but I think you have to come out of this play with a foul.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I get it. And what I'm saying is we are on here arguing whether it was a travel or it wasn't. Would anyone argue that there was a foul on the defender following the "travel"? I'm going to say no. Now if the whole gym sees him travel get the travel, but I think you have to come out of this play with a foul.
I have no problem if an official decides to come out with a foul instead of a travel. But I hate it when an official properly rules a play a travel and he gets criticized b/c other officials need to watch a replay to see it.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have no problem if an official decides to come out with a foul instead of a travel. But I hate it when an official properly rules a play a travel and he gets criticized b/c other officials need to watch a replay to see it.
Not to mention the fact that if it actually is a travel, even if it is very close, it is very unfair to penalize a defender with a block when trying to defend a player that traveled.

It is not all that different than a defender holding an opponent who then pushes off to get free. It would be the wrong thing to call the push off that everyone can see when you know the defender was holding.