The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAAM Ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103508-ncaam-ejection.html)

Rich Fri Feb 09, 2018 05:17pm

NCAAM Ejection

Here's today's contribution from Deadspin, who's *always* anti-official:

https://deadspin.com/louisiana-tech-...rad-1822872788

Big_Blue_Wannabe Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38pm

Can someone tell me what he did on the first play that warranted a technical foul??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueDevilRef Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:27pm

From what I gather from 2nd video, both T’s were for taunting. I didn’t see that in either clip. I’m not that level of Ref and won’t ever be but the 2nd one for sure looked pretty suspect.

bucky Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36pm

This was all over ESPN and all of the announcers/telecasters were shocked and could not figure out why the player received any technicals. I saw nothing that warranted any technical foul.

Altor Sat Feb 10, 2018 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe (Post 1016717)
Can someone tell me what he did on the first play that warranted a technical foul??

Without audio, probably not.

Raymond Sat Feb 10, 2018 09:32am

I'm quite sure Louisiana Tech's head coach was informed of why he received the technicals. What did the coach say in the post-game interview?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Altor Sat Feb 10, 2018 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1016718)
but the 2nd one for sure looked pretty suspect.

The second one was the obvious one. He earned it for pointing at the player laying on the ground after the dunk. Especially since he already had one.

eyezen Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:58am

Not to derail the OT, but posting a pic of a man and his daughter and calling her a prostitute is going too far

scrounge Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 1016739)
Not to derail the OT, but posting a pic of a man and his daughter and calling her a prostitute is going too far

Deadspin is a self-proclaimed hipster pit of arrogant nonsense, and the comments section is the cesspool in that pit.

BillyMac Sat Feb 10, 2018 01:07pm

As Old As Dirt ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 1016741)
Deadspin is a self-proclaimed hipster pit of arrogant nonsense, and the comments section is the cesspool in that pit.

When I get my hip replaced, will that make me a hipster?

Rich Sat Feb 10, 2018 01:43pm

I love how everyone is so quick to judge without any knowledge of what the player might have said.

BlueDevilRef Sat Feb 10, 2018 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1016747)
I love how everyone is so quick to judge without any knowledge of what the player might have said.

True but just going off the knowledge we glean from the video. For me, I did not see taunting acts. He may have said something taunting and if so, good enough. But I will agree with the commentator that I do not believe that Davis could have seen that or heard it better from the 28ft line than the lead did right next to the play.

Rich Sat Feb 10, 2018 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1016767)
True but just going off the knowledge we glean from the video. For me, I did not see taunting acts. He may have said something taunting and if so, good enough. But I will agree with the commentator that I do not believe that Davis could have seen that or heard it better from the 28ft line than the lead did right next to the play.

The second one was obvious to me. He pointed at his opponent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SNIPERBBB Sat Feb 10, 2018 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1016728)
Without audio, probably not.

There has got to be a clip somewhere from a tv feed other than that cellphone video of the play. Havent found it yet, just a bunch of other sites using the same clip griping.

RefRich Sat Feb 10, 2018 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1016768)
The second one was obvious to me. He pointed at his opponent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It's hard to see he pointed from any of the angles and from where the calling official was coming from, I don't believe he could see a point. I think you're reaching on this one. There was no "obvious" pointing. A quick arm towards him which can be interpreted in any way but to call it from where the official came from and the lead, who was staring right at the play, called nothing.

Regardless, even if he did point, what was said or done for the first one? Deadspin does a lot wrong but don't blame this one on them.

JRutledge Sat Feb 10, 2018 06:56pm

Well, I think many of us would take the experience and conferences these guys work any day of the week. This was basically an "off night" for the officials in question and likely could have been at some other major conference in the country in the middle of the country. If the official that is talking to the coach saw something or knows something, he is making that clear. I doubt seriously there was not a well-known reason he was ejected from the game.

And until I hear the officials were suspended or fired from the league, I am pretty sure there is more to the story. This was just the final straw.

Peace

LRZ Sat Feb 10, 2018 07:49pm

Why would anyone--except a blogger or fanboy--seriously think experienced officials would make stuff up?

Welpe Sat Feb 10, 2018 08:23pm

Nice to see Deadspin being it's usual sewer self. :rolleyes:

youngump Mon Feb 12, 2018 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1016778)
Why would anyone--except a blogger or fanboy--seriously think experienced officials would make stuff up?

Because we remember Lonnie Dixon in the Pitt back in '04.

TopicalTropical Mon Feb 12, 2018 04:58pm

I remember one of my first technical was in a high school game when a player blocked a shot and then did that primal type yell after. He did it in the face of the opponent too much though and I gave him a T. Coach was fine with it. After thinking about it I wasn't sure if it was directed at the player he blocked, maybe it wasn't directed. If players want to let out a shout, show some emotion I'm fine as long as it is not directed or crosses some line to warrant a T. I can't hear what was said on the first, but I don't see it being a technical.

The second one is easy. He pointed. Trying to be Shawn Kemp, easy T
That 360 Dunk he did is sweet though!