The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical Foul given during free throw administration (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103493-technical-foul-given-during-free-throw-administration-video.html)

JRutledge Thu Feb 08, 2018 01:16am

Technical Foul given during free throw administration (Video)

Let us discuss if or how this could have been prevented if it could have been prevented.

Just an interesting play of dead ball officiating.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RCNOD75h7eY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

packersowner Thu Feb 08, 2018 01:24am

Looks like #0 - Fleming needs some extra wind sprints.

From what we can see, white and purple were discussing American Lit before the 1st shot. It appears the L moved in to ensure they weren't talking about Hamilton because he has show tickets for the weekend, at which point #0 jumps into the conversation.

Without knowing what was said, seems like a justified T and I am not sure what else preventative could have happened.

Camron Rust Thu Feb 08, 2018 01:28am

I presume he was in there to start with because he heard something going on between them that needed to be addressed. The only way it could have been prevented would be to have not gone in there to address whatever started it. But then, we might be having a different discussion about what could have happened.

VaTerp Thu Feb 08, 2018 01:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 1016556)
Looks like #0 - Fleming needs some extra wind sprints.

From what we can see, white and purple were discussing American Lit before the 1st shot. It appears the L moved in to ensure they weren't talking about Hamilton because he has show tickets for the weekend, at which point #0 jumps into the conversation.

Without knowing what was said, seems like a justified T and I am not sure what else preventative could have happened.

Pretty much.

I called a similar T a few years ago in a HS game. I'm talking to two guys to diffuse a situation, then the 3rd guy comes in being a tough guy trying to get in a few words to the opponent. Like, dude....I'm standing right here. No Sir, STFU and let's explain to your coach why you cost your team 2 points and a possession.

nolanjj68 Thu Feb 08, 2018 08:02am

Can someone explain why they did not finish the 2nd free throw of the 1 and 1 before shooting the technical free throws?

bob jenkins Thu Feb 08, 2018 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolanjj68 (Post 1016570)
Can someone explain why they did not finish the 2nd free throw of the 1 and 1 before shooting the technical free throws?

The video doesn't show for me (there's just a hole where the video should be), so I don't know the level, but many rules codes have a T as being "shoot immediately and then resume at point-of-interruption" rule

Raymond Thu Feb 08, 2018 08:59am

Quote:

Because non-contact/non-flagrant technical fouls are POI in NCAA-Men's.

nolanjj68 Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1016578)
Because non-contact/non-flagrant technical fouls are POI in NCAA-Men's.

Thanks. So in NFHS we would continue with the 2nd of the 1 and 1 and then administer the Tech FTs, correct?

Raymond Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:15am

There is an obviously unnecessary push by Blue 15 during the first free throw, that's what drew the Lead's attention.

JRutledge Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:19am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1016572)
The video doesn't show for me (there's just a hole where the video should be), so I don't know the level, but many rules codes have a T as being "shoot immediately and then resume at point-of-interruption" rule

Around 2:12 in the video, the shows the POI second free throw was taken.

This is a typical NCAA Men's application of the rule. Almost all technicals in NCAA Men's are POI application. Dead ball contact technicals, for example, are treated like a high school in the application of the technical (two shots and the ball).

Peace

bob jenkins Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolanjj68 (Post 1016582)
Thanks. So in NFHS we would continue with the 2nd of the 1 and 1 and then administer the Tech FTs, correct?

In HS, all fouls are administered in the order they occurred.

jTheUmp Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolanjj68 (Post 1016582)

Correct.

The lane would be cleared, we'd shoot the second bonus FT, then the 2 TF free throws, then a division line throw-in opposite the table.

Raymond Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05am

Blue 15 and Blue 0 are knuckleheads who put sh!t into games. I give those type of players no slack.

Blindolbat Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:56am

I don't know if blue 15 was ever a problem here.
It looks like from the moment they start to lineup at about the :13 mark, Blue 0 started with a little talking. Walked right up behind White 2 and White 15 and said something than appears to catch the leads attention. Once it continued into after the 1st free throw he steps in to try to defuse the situation.

jeremy341a Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22pm

Anyone addressing the Blue #0 wave off after the T?

bob jenkins Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1016603)
Anyone addressing the Blue #0 wave off after the T?

Depends on who he waved off and whether it was seen.

Altor Thu Feb 08, 2018 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1016553)
Let us discuss if or how this could have been prevented if it could have been prevented.

Blue 0 could have prevented it by keeping his comments to himself, most likely.

Raymond Thu Feb 08, 2018 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 1016602)
I don't know if blue 15 was ever a problem here.
It looks like from the moment they start to lineup at about the :13 mark, Blue 0 started with a little talking. Walked right up behind White 2 and White 15 and said something than appears to catch the leads attention. Once it continued into after the 1st free throw he steps in to try to defuse the situation.

You're living up to forum name if you didn't notice the nudge by Blue #15 during the first free throw. ;)