The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   6 players on the court (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103476-6-players-court.html)

yankeesfan Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:43pm

6 players on the court

Coming off a timeout, Team A has 6 players on the court. As soon as the lead official hands the bell to the inbounder the trail blows the whistle when he notices 6 on the court. Is this a technical? This was a 6th grade basketball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooby Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:14pm

Yes, it is a technical. Given that it is 6th grade and that the officials should have caught it, there are some officials that will not call the technical.

bucky Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 1016353)
This was a 6th grade basketball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technical? Of course not. You don't need any puddles of pee on the floor and some kid feeling awful/ashamed the rest of the day.

"Hey coach, my mistake, I was looking at hot moms in the crowd and miscounted. One has to go out." Invariably one kid will quickly exit the floor so put the ball in play.

(kidding about the hot moms comment. It is a forum inside joke. Use any other excuse to avoid embarrassing a kid, especially when it was the officials' fault)

Welpe Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1016355)
Yes, it is a technical. Given that it is 6th grade and that the officials should have caught it, there are some officials that will not call the technical.

Took only one post to prove your point. ;)

It's a Team T that only goes toward their overall foul count. Call it and move on and then make sure you and your partner are on the same page with counting players.

Rich Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 1016372)
Took only one post to prove your point. ;)

It's a Team T that only goes toward their overall foul count. Call it and move on and then make sure you and your partner are on the same page with counting players.

Sorry, I'd likely do the same as post #3.

It's 6th grade hoops. 99% chance it's likely my fault for falling asleep at the switch here. I guarantee that nobody in my neck of the woods at this level will care, either.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 1016353)
Coming off a timeout, Team A has 6 players on the court. As soon as the lead official hands the bell to the inbounder the trail blows the whistle when he notices 6 on the court. Is this a technical? This was a 6th grade basketball game.

I don't think your description is correct. T noticed the 6th player just *before* L gave the ball to the inbounder -- so the ball never became live. ;)

Welpe Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43am

Since when do you call middle school games? :)

Rich Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 1016380)
Since when do you call middle school games? :)

I watch way too many of them.