The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Entitled Father-son coaching duo's (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103472-entitled-father-son-coaching-duos.html)

rotationslim Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:52am

Entitled Father-son coaching duo's

Do other areas see this: We have a couple of perennial powerhouse teams that a father has built, and now has turned over to his son. In both cases son is head coach, father stays on as an assistant and is on the bench with his son. Sounds like the american family dream right-- actually can be an officials nightmare. One duo is not too bad, but the other local couple-- hooy boy. Son is completely entitled by what his father has created.. up all game.. riding the ref.. arrogant. When he sits down, the father stands up and starts going. It's awful. I was spectator at game Friday Night.. Son got a well deserved T-- so was in the seatbelt-- so now it was daddys turn to get up a work the refs. I dont like second guessing the crew-- but they shoulda whacked daddy! Later in the game son takes second technical.. it was over a rough play where there was plenty of blame to go around to both teams, and the refs had called it correctly. Anyway he is so angry he starts agressively moving towards ref who made call and the T. A closer ref steps in and physically holds him back. I swear it looked like a WWE wrestling bit. He eventually left the gym. Not sue why third tech was not called for the running onto floor to get at ref, not sure why one ref took it upon himself to restrain the guy, didnt seem like his job, coach had daddy and 2 other assistants to do that. So now Daddy in charge-- he is up and riding the ref like nobodys business (does seatbelt rule carry over to substitute head coach??? ) . Worth noting.. game is a blowout-- his team down by 15 with no chance of comeback. One instance Daddy didnt like something he saw as ball was about to go into play (not sure what, I was in stands) so he jumps up yells "STOP...STOP..." By this time he is at the scorers table and starts reaching for the horn button yelling at the scoreboard op to sound the horn. Refs blow whistle and stop before he got to horn. Still no idea what it was about but nothing changed in the floor or setup after refs had a quick conference with him. I am just a girls JV ref.. but I am pretty sure coach is not allowed to sound horn. Then, if perhaps Daddys greatest moment he is talking to his players at end of timout-- going way overtime-- then opposing team member comes within a few feet of his huddle and he blows up screaming at the ref that they other player was invading their huddle. Turns out ball was to be taken our right where his huddle was.. and ref was trying to restart the action. You'ed think that would cause him to settle down out of embarrassment-- no chance.. just kept talking the rest of the night.

LRZ Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:57am

A favorite cliché: we promote what we permit.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00pm

Paragraphs are your friend.

That said, only the head coach can stand -- and, if I'm reading it correctly, that's the son. Once the son gets a T, no one can stand.

LRZ Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1016324)
That said, only the head coach can stand -- and, if I'm reading it correctly, that's the son. Once the son gets a T, no one can stand.

Standing is perhaps the least of this duo's transgressions. I hope the bus driver can coach, because he/she would likely be the only adult left to run things after the HC and AC get tossed.

jeremy341a Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:14pm

If I was calling I can't imagine both of them not getting tossed for the above.

UNIgiantslayers Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15pm

He remains an assistant after the removal of the head coach. He would only be a substitute head coach if the head coach were not present at the start of the game. Therefore, he sits the whole game (unless you have a state specific rule that allows ASSistants to stand?) and if he has something to say to me about my officiating, his son would be sitting the whole game as well.

Raymond Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1016325)
Standing is perhaps the least of this duo's transgressions. I hope the bus driver can coach, because he/she would likely be the only adult left to run things after the HC and AC get tossed.

I would like to read a newspaper article on the game.

nolanjj68 Tue Feb 06, 2018 07:14am

ANy sign of game administration during all of this? Especially when the dad tries to commandeer the table?

#olderthanilook Tue Feb 06, 2018 09:24am

Ass. Coaches are the best. Esp when they are the HC's dad. We have a tandem like that here in my area. They have a less than savory reputation, and I have a story or two about the elder. But, nothing on the scale you just described in the OP.

Unbelievable.

I'm with LRZ, though. "We promote what we permit."

frezer11 Tue Feb 06, 2018 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1016322)
A favorite cliché: we promote what we permit.

Well put. This reminds me of the 13 minute conversation we read about a couple weeks ago, where the whole time I'm reading it, I'm thinking, "Is this even a real thing? Who would allow this to happen?"

griblets Wed Feb 07, 2018 01:31pm

We have a father asst. coach in our area who likes to loudly comment on the officiating. Being aware of his tendencay, first time he did it, about 2 minutes into the game, I'm standing next to coach and say, "that's got to stop," while pointing at the asst. coach. Coach told dad to stop, and we never heard from him again. Problem solved.