The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Held Ball = Injury (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103469-held-ball-injury.html)

Terrapins Fan Sun Feb 04, 2018 02:16pm

Held Ball = Injury

I was working a BV game Friday between 2 deaf schools WV & Ohio. It was a challenging game to work as most of the players could not hear and when you blow the whistle, very few stopped. Anyway, there were several jump ball calls here and there.

Late n the 3rd Q, I was on lead and 2 players grabbed the rebound, I give them a sec to see if one can get control and no, so I blow the whistle as does one of my partners, Jump ball, they continue to tussle and the stronger one V1, pulls the ball away and flips the other player H1 over his hips, dislocating H1's shoulder, nothing flagrant or intentional, just playing hard and can't hear the whistles.

We stopped the game and it took about 3 minutes to get the player off the floor. I have touched based with the home AD, he is fine should put back in and should recover without problems.

In this fast paced game, we have to be on our toes. I don't think there is anything we could have done to prevent the injury, even blowing sooner, maybe if they were hearing, but they are not. 1st time for a serious injury for me in 18 year, not counting a concussion in a scrimmage 2 years ago. BTW, Ohio won like 42-24

grunewar Sun Feb 04, 2018 03:19pm

Sounds like a tough game to call.

I've had a deaf player before, but not an entire team.

Terrapins Fan Sun Feb 04, 2018 03:23pm

At times it is tough, but it's fun. Especially for first timers....every time the home team scores, they beat a huge base drum...if you are unaware, the 1st time makes you jump out of your shoes....

The Ohio deaf team we very good.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 04, 2018 06:25pm

I did a few of those type of games in DC.
The kids mostly stopped though. I was told that they can detect the vibration from the sound of the whistle somehow.

What you need to do when working with deaf players is be visible to them when making calls. You need to close on every whistle. If either you or your partner had quickly moved to be next to these two players while signaling for a held ball, it may have helped them stop battling for the ball.

bucky Sun Feb 04, 2018 07:41pm

I have never heard of that.;)

Terrapins Fan Sun Feb 04, 2018 08:33pm

When we blow, all of us Hold our hands in the STOP Sign, then give the signal.

They also us the backboard lights to help.

JRutledge Sun Feb 04, 2018 08:50pm

That is interesting, I played in high school against a Missouri School for the Deaf. They were in our conference when I was at a school in Missouri. They stopped or seemed to know when to stop every time a whistle was blown. We played them in all sports and never did we have an issue with them in that area. I wonder if that changes when two teams with that same disability play each other.

Nothing else to add to the content of this time, just found that part interesting.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 04, 2018 08:56pm

My first two years officiating women's college basketball, there was a player for Miami (FL) Dade C.C.-North that did not wear her hearing aides when playing, all the officials knew it and we knew that there would be times when she did not immediately realize that we had stopped the game, but we adjusted.

Since then I have had a few players at either the JrHS and HS levels that were deaf, and a couple in Special Olympics.

MTD, Sr.

jeremy341a Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1016295)
That is interesting, I played in high school against a Missouri School for the Deaf. They were in our conference when I was at a school in Missouri. They stopped or seemed to know when to stop every time a whistle was blown. We played them in all sports and never did we have an issue with them in that area. I wonder if that changes when two teams with that same disability play each other.

Nothing else to add to the content of this time, just found that part interesting.

Peace

What school did you attend? When I was in school we played them also. I still teach at the same school and we still play them.

BigT Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:52pm

Ive done one or two games here in Utah. I signed for 13 years and can still sign well. Deaf players will notice things better than hearing kids and I havent seen any issue every. All you can do is get in there so they see you rushing the held ball and they will stop. What happened was just an accident and I think you guys did well.

The_Rookie Mon Feb 05, 2018 03:39pm

At a Camp, I once worked with two deaf partners. Mechanics/signals/eye contact were extra important to officiate the game. Great Experience!

BillyMac Mon Feb 05, 2018 04:22pm

Yell At My Partner ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1016341)
At a Camp, I once worked with two deaf partners. Mechanics/signals/eye contact were extra important to officiate the game. Great Experience!

We have a deaf varsity official on our local board. He used to coach the varsity boys team at the a high school for the deaf, so he knows his stuff. He's a great official. I agree with The_Rookie, mechanics/signals/eye contact, etc., all become very important when working with a deaf partner.

My favorite line in the pregame captains/coaches meeting: "If you guys want to yell at the officials, be sure to yell at my partner".