The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Does the player have to come out? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103461-does-player-have-come-out.html)

jeremy341a Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53am

Does the player have to come out?

2 man player catches the ball unguarded in my corner as I am the lead. Kid beg jumping on one foot over and over. I call travel on him. His teammate comes over and says "it's his knee." He picks him up and carries him the 8 ft or so to the bleachers. He sits him in the bleachers with his leg up on the bleacher as well. They start shoving on his knee repeatedly. His teammate tells me "it pops out of place." After about 30 seconds He says there is it and jumps up without even limp. Meanwhile there is a sub at the table for him that comes in.

My question is what if there was no sub? The coach never came out. I assume bc he knew what was going on. Would the player need to be removed as we stopped play for approximately 1.5 minutes.

bucky Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1016189)
2 man player catches the ball unguarded in my corner as I am the lead. Kid beg jumping on one foot over and over. I call travel on him. His teammate comes over and says "it's his knee." He picks him up and carries him the 8 ft or so to the bleachers. He sits him in the bleachers with his leg up on the bleacher as well. They start shoving on his knee repeatedly. His teammate tells me "it pops out of place." After about 30 seconds He says there is it and jumps up without even limp. Meanwhile there is a sub at the table for him that comes in.

My question is what if there was no sub? The coach never came out. I assume bc he knew what was going on. Would the player need to be removed as we stopped play for approximately 1.5 minutes.

Remove player. Besides everything surrounding the actions of the injured player and teammate, ninety seconds is too long.

so cal lurker Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1016189)
The coach never came out. I assume bc he knew what was going on. Would the player need to be removed as we stopped play for approximately 1.5 minutes.

Why wouldn't you call the coach out long before 90 seconds passed?

What triggers the sub requirement: the coach actually coming out, or the coach being beckoned onto the court?

Raymond Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1016198)

What triggers the sub requirement: the coach actually coming out, or the coach being beckoned onto the court?

Beckoning. And if the coach comes on to the court he/she is considered beckoned (at least in my games).

jeremy341a Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1016198)

I was the lead as far away from the Coach's bench. I was looking at the kid in the bleacher going Mel Gibson from Lethal Weapon on his knee. It was probably my shock that keep me from calling him out. When I turned to look at the Coach he has a sub already coming in. Perhaps my partner had beckoned the Coach. I'm honestly not sure.

Rich Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:51am

I'd ask for a sub or for the coach to call a timeout.

We're not waiting.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:07pm

Case 3.3.6B " A1 may remain in the game if ... A1 is ready to play immediately. There is no set amount of time as to what is "immediately," but it should not involve more than a few seconds..."

jeremy341a Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1016208)
Case 3.3.6B " A1 may remain in the game if ... A1 is ready to play immediately. There is no set amount of time as to what is "immediately," but it should not involve more than a few seconds..."

There's what I was thinking of. I thought he would have to come out since the delay was so long but couldn't find the ruling I need.