The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Fouling bad ft shooter away from ball

In the ku ou game last night, ou fouled ku's big intentionally away from ball 5 possessions in a row. It was obvious to the point the big went to the corner and ou went over and put his hands on him. How is that not a flagrant 1 under section 2 or 4, as a non bball play or a play designed to simply stop the clock? What do theyou tell you college guys these days? At one point I thought you couldn't foul away from the ball like that without the extra penalty
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Didn't see it, but as described this should have been an F1 (NCAAM), IP (NCAA), or Unsporting (NCAAW) foul.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen or heard anyone say that, we'll known officials on the game. He wasn't trying to post up or involved in the play. Scrub was in to execute. That's what I think reading the rule. Intentional no longer appears in the book, but I thought that was because a play don't have to be intentional to fit? Interesting, I hope someone official addresses it for all
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to see some video on it if possible. I didn't see the game, but have a buddy who's a life long Jayhawk, and he was telling me the same thing.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

So apparently in college hack-a-shaq is in play, you can file someone off ball as long as you're not bear hugging them if you just body them knock them off their path when they're running or did your forearm into them, you can put them to the line whether the ball is in their hands are not correct? Because that's what happened. I don't have a way to get video on it, but I assure you this is going to be in a bigger issue in the next week or two. It used to be when I left college that if it was away from the ball like that it was going to be intentional. I think the word intentional was taken out of the rule in about 2011 to clarify that contact didn't have to be intentional to be penalized when the crazy over elbows to the Head became a deal. Interesting
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 11:19am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
So apparently in college hack-a-shaq is in play, you can file someone off ball as long as you're not bear hugging them if you just body them knock them off their path when they're running or did your forearm into them, you can put them to the line whether the ball is in their hands are not correct? Because that's what happened. I don't have a way to get video on it, but I assure you this is going to be in a bigger issue in the next week or two. It used to be when I left college that if it was away from the ball like that it was going to be intentional. I think the word intentional was taken out of the rule in about 2011 to clarify that contact didn't have to be intentional to be penalized when the crazy over elbows to the Head became a deal. Interesting
The rule puts officials in a really tough position, especially when the fouling team is smart and fouls the kid in such a way that it seems like just another foul. I'm sure the officials caught on to what they were doing, but if the fouls are subtle then there's nothing really they can do. We should expect some clarification from JD/Art on this front though.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Intentional fouls are F1's in college.

HS or college, the first time this is attempted I'm telling the offender that if I blow my whistle it will be for an intentional/F1. Then when I get a chance I will inform the HC or an AC from that team.

Actually had this situation in a HS game last week and did exactly I say above.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Intentional fouls are F1's in college.

HS or college, the first time this is attempted I'm telling the offender that if I blow my whistle it will be for an intentional/F1. Then when I get a chance I will inform the HC or an AC from that team.

Actually had this situation in a HS game last week and did exactly I say above.
So wait, did you call the common foul first, and then give the warning? Or did you see them attempting the foul, and chose not to call it and warn them to stop or it will be intentional?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
So wait, did you call the common foul first, and then give the warning? Or did you see them attempting the foul, and chose not to call it and warn them to stop or it will be intentional?
I believe he is saying the latter and I've done the same thing in a HS game.

I told the kid, this is not the NBA and his actions would be deemed an intentional foul.

He stopped immediately. Next opportunity I had, I informed the coach as well.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

A scrub fouled out in 2 minutes late in the ou ku game, it was very obvious what he was doing, all away from the ball, and no f1 was called. All but one were completely away from a focal point of play and clearly to put a bad ft shooter at the line. Won't be the last we will see of it in the big 12. Clarification is in order.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 02:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
In the ku ou game last night, ou fouled ku's big intentionally away from ball 5 possessions in a row.
Did this happen in the last few minutes of the game?

Peace
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Did this happen in the last few minutes of the game?

Peace
From the play-by-play, it looks like the first foul is at 3:37 of 2nd half.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
From the play-by-play, it looks like the first foul is at 3:37 of 2nd half.
For my clarification, you said there were multiple fouls that took place after that incident?

Peace
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
For my clarification, you said there were multiple fouls that took place after that incident?

Peace
Correct, multiple fouls on the same player. For the record, I didn't actually see it myself live, I just want to see if these are truly off-ball fouls that should've been F1's, and if not, how were they disguised as to get a common-foul designation.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 03:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I believe he is saying the latter and I've done the same thing in a HS game.

I told the kid, this is not the NBA and his actions would be deemed an intentional foul.

He stopped immediately. Next opportunity I had, I informed the coach as well.
Funny, when I told the player what the consequence would be if I called his foul, he told me I was terrible, and my response was "This isn't the NBA".

I went to his AC during the next time-out to explain the situation and AC immediately told me he knew what I was talking about and that he would handle it.