The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kentucky @ West Virginia Play (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103429-kentucky-west-virginia-play-video.html)

JRutledge Sun Jan 28, 2018 02:09pm

Kentucky @ West Virginia Play (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K3u8LbbiBOE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

JRutledge Sun Jan 28, 2018 03:04pm

Play #2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SnwU6L-evMs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Camron Rust Sun Jan 28, 2018 03:05pm

There were several interesting calls/noncalls in that game. There was a pretty obvious missed BC violation missed against Kentucky in the first half. Not sure when it was, but the UK player, a couple of feet into the FC, caught a pass from the backcourt, then stepped into the BC. Easy BC, no call.

I don't think this crew had their best games.

As for this call, I think they had it right. The defender definitely jumped forward and even lead with forearm making first contact in the shooters upper chest/neck area.

JRutledge Sun Jan 28, 2018 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1015773)
There were several interesting calls/noncalls in that game. There was a pretty obvious missed BC violation missed against Kentucky in the first half. Not sure when it was, but the UK player, a couple of feet into the FC, caught a pass from the backcourt, then stepped into the BC. Easy BC, no call.

I don't think this crew had their best games.

As for this call, I think they had it right. The defender definitely jumped forward and even lead with forearm making first contact in the shooters upper chest/neck area.

Early in the first half or later? I will try to find it.

Peace

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 28, 2018 05:24pm

1. CC. I’m all about good, high and athletic block attempts, and I’ll assume the defender is legal until he shows me otherwise. In this case, his right arm played great defense but his left didn’t. L pinched the paint perfectly. Great look, great call.

2. CC. LGP established, then slight lateral (legal) movement. Defender did nothing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sun Jan 28, 2018 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1015775)

Peace

As a guess, I'd say mid 1st half, but that is just a guess. If you can't find it, that is fine, I wasn't really asking for a video, but if you get it, great. It occurred on the near side, about 5 or so feet from the sideline after either a made basket by WVU or after some other throwin when they were pressing. There was no mention by the announcers and no one on WVU seemed to notice either.

thedewed Sun Jan 28, 2018 08:54pm

That's a good block in my neighorhood, off arm is natural and not extended., what would you want the defender to do with that arm?

#76 Sun Jan 28, 2018 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1015793)
That's a good block in my neighorhood, off arm is natural and not extended., what would you want the defender to do with that arm?

That's a foul in my neighborhood. Either put the other arm straight up (as he had in other blocks in the same game), or somewhere else, but not in the shooter's chest/armpit. I thought it was the CC.

I agree with the charge in the 2nd call.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03pm

Quote:

You're OK with knocking the shooter back before blocking the shot?

Raymond Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16pm

I'm not getting that from the Lead. The contact that is called is up high and on the Center's side of the play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ref3808 Mon Jan 29, 2018 07:55am

Correct Call. Arm contact, not vertical.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 29, 2018 08:41am

Quote:

Based on the other thread, I'm surprised you didn't want this to be an F1. :0

Both the plays are correct calls, imo.

biz2 Mon Jan 29, 2018 08:43am

#1 - CC for me - Even if that contact isn't with left forearm (say it's with the chest) the defender clearly is not close to vertical and the contact was significant and prevented airborne shooter from getting to the potential apex of his try attempt.

#2 - This one is close for me. I wish I could see whether the lateral movement is before or after the shooter becomes airborne. It appears to be before and for the Lead in transition at full speed I lead toward PC foul so, for me, I agree with Lead - CC

sdoebler Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:10am

Both correct calls imo.

On number one he is not jumping straight up, position A to position A. He is jumping from A to B toward the shooter. The only reason he lands close to where he took off from is because he crashed into the shooter.

thumpferee Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1015775)

Peace

6:22 in the 1st!

If you could also post the play

@ 7:11 in the 1st, does anyone have a travel?