The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Virginia v Duke

Walked by a tv at a restaurant and saw an unusual play, I think 14:22 to go in 2nd half.

A1, beyond 3-point line, lob passes to A2 in the low post. Ball goes in. Official waved off, presumably because of a foul by B2 on A2. Would like to see the replay and result of the play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 27, 2018, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, very strange play. After waving it off, I believe that they changed the call and scored it. IIRC, it was a defensive foul as the ball was lobbed for an alley oop that entered the basket from behind the 3-point arc. They cut to commercial so fast that it was hard to understand what happened.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2018, 12:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Peace
Old Sun Jan 28, 2018, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Try or no try?

Thanks for the video, JRut!

So, it appears that 3-points were awarded to Duke, and they were awarded the throw-in for the foul while the ball was in the air, which must mean that it was ruled a try.

However, was it a try for goal? Obviously, it was a pass. Wouldn't only two points be awarded if it's not a try? And, in this specific case, if not a try, wouldn't the ball become dead when the foul occurs, which was before the ball passed through the basket, resulting in no points and Duke's throw-in?

I feel there has been a thread on a hypothetical situation just like this in the past.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2018, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
Thanks for the video, JRut!

So, it appears that 3-points were awarded to Duke, and they were awarded the throw-in for the foul while the ball was in the air, which must mean that it was ruled a try.

However, was it a try for goal? Obviously, it was a pass. Wouldn't only two points be awarded if it's not a try? And, in this specific case, if not a try, wouldn't the ball become dead when the foul occurs, which was before the ball passed through the basket, resulting in no points and Duke's throw-in?

I feel there has been a thread on a hypothetical situation just like this in the past.
The rule is that a ball thrown from behind the arc that goes in is to be counted as 3 points. The rule does not say that it is automatically a try if it goes in, just that it will get 3 points.

If there is a defensive foul, the ball is dead immediately unless a try is in progress.

Several have debated this in the past and there isn't a consensus.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2018, 07:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

He Don't Eat Nothin' But A Bear Cat Stew ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The rule is that a ball thrown from behind the arc that goes in is to be counted as 3 points ... Several have debated this in the past and there isn't a consensus.
When the NFHS first added the three point arc, it had to be a try to get three points, a judgment call for the officials. Eventually the NFHS changed the rule so that the alley oop pass that went in was also three points. The only exception is the ball that bounces off a shoulder, head, etc., from behind the arc and goes in, which is only two points.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)