The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: Michigan vs. Purdue (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103423-video-request-michigan-vs-purdue.html)

sdoebler Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:27am

Video Request: Michigan vs. Purdue

Game was on ESPN 25Jan2018

1. With ~47 seconds left Michigan drove to the hoop in transition and there was no foul called. Might be interesting.

2. The ball went out of bounds and was awarded to Michigan, on the ensuing throw-in seemed like there may have been an illegal screen.

Thanks

JRutledge Fri Jan 26, 2018 01:20pm

Play #1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HyTnfz2QOS4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

#olderthanilook Fri Jan 26, 2018 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1015634)
Game was on ESPN 25Jan2018

1. With ~47 seconds left Michigan drove to the hoop in transition and there was no foul called. Might be interesting.

Wow. In real time, it looks like there was illegal contact across A1's right arm and even before that, a forearm across the A1's face. The overhead view doesn't help with the facial contact, but makes a stronger case for the official's call of nothing but OOB. B1's arm appears to perfectly bisect A1's arms with first contact to the ball before becoming the final force that pushes the ball OOB.

nolanjj68 Fri Jan 26, 2018 01:41pm

In real time it looked like he clobbered him. In slo mo replay it looks like he got mostly ball if not all ball. I think he got some of the arm but I am unsure. Seems like a real good no call to me.

Raymond Fri Jan 26, 2018 01:54pm

Tough angle for the Lead to see. I think it's a foul, but I can understand why he didn't call it.

sdoebler Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:05pm

Tough call, I think that I would have ruled it a shooting foul and two shots but it is a difficult play to 1. get into position for 2. make perfect judgement in real time.

On a lighter note there is a bit of comedy at :12 seconds into the video there is a player/coach? on the bench asking for an intentional (F1) not realizing a foul hasn't even been called.

JRutledge Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:09pm

Play #2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XfCk-NEMKlk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

sdoebler Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:25pm

To me this play is an illegal screen. The play looks like they are trying to get a double screen set up for #13 Blue to shoot a 3-point shot. The blue player is outside his standard body width and using his knee to prevent the defending player from getting through the screen. It turns out as many people know the person who ended up open is the screener.

I think this is one of those plays that 20 years ago people may say you can't call that with less then a minute left in a close game. However, now with the video so readily available to audiences you have to referee the play the same way you would in the first minute. I didn't ref 20 years ago however so I can't fully speak to that validity.

Another part to that maybe how the screens were called throughout the game. I didn't see the whole game so if this type of contact was permitted consistently throughout the course of the game on both ends maybe it is a correct no call here in this situation. As it stands I think that I am going the other way with a team control foul.

JRutledge Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:29pm

I do not see a foul in play #1. I think at best this is a great block where the contact is with mostly the ball. He took it out of his hands and the reason why he fell. I did not think the lead was in great position, but he was also beat on this play because of the quick steal. I would hope based on what I saw I would call the same.

One the second play, I feel that this looks mostly like players running into each other. I feel this is a play you have to kind of have a "feel for" where if you can identify where the ball was going, then maybe you call a foul. It appears that the ball might have been attempted to go to #13 Wagner and if that was the case I could see this being called. But the player that made a cut to the end line gets the ball and I am not sure he was trying to set a screen but trying to just get to his spot. Tough play and I see why it was not called.

Peace

Raymond Fri Jan 26, 2018 03:10pm

#2) Michigan is attempting an Elevator Door screen that the Purdue defender recognizes. When the Purdue defender attempts to go around the screen, I think Michigan #1 moves to impede him and then pops out to the corner either b/c he sees it's wide open or b/c that is the design of the play.

Blindolbat Fri Jan 26, 2018 03:36pm

Play #1 does not look like a foul for me. Obviously I wish we had the same angle that the lead had on that, but from what we see, looks good.

Play #2 I wish we saw the entire set up from 2-3 seconds before. I think if the ball is thrown out to the top then I've got an illegal screen. Since the ball wasn't thrown there, I've got nothing here.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 26, 2018 03:37pm

I'd like to see the video start a few seconds earlier. By the time the video starts, the players are already (or nearly) engaged, so it's tough to judge.

(Or, for those who prefer camp-speak -- we want to see S-D-F; The video only shows D-F.)

JRutledge Fri Jan 26, 2018 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1015692)
I'd like to see the video start a few seconds earlier. By the time the video starts, the players are already (or nearly) engaged, so it's tough to judge.

(Or, for those who prefer camp-speak -- we want to see S-D-F; The video only shows D-F.)

If you are talking about the second play, that is about as much as they showed. They cut to the inbounds late and tried to get more of the play involved. I agree, there might have been more to this play or the movement that would have given a bigger picture. Unfortunately, that is what the TV feed showed.

Peace

kk13 Fri Jan 26, 2018 04:38pm

Play #2 - I think Harbaugh is talking to those two players about playing offensive line next year. 2 simultaneous illegal screens for sure!

bob jenkins Fri Jan 26, 2018 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1015695)
If you are talking about the second play, that is about as much as they showed. They cut to the inbounds late and tried to get more of the play involved. I agree, there might have been more to this play or the movement that would have given a bigger picture. Unfortunately, that is what the TV feed showed.

Peace

Yes -- it wasn't meant as any sort of criticism toward you. I appreciate your efforts in this.