The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

WORST mechanic in Basketball

The end of timeout mechanic is horrible. It is as if it is designed to make the ref look like a stooge to the crowd. Look at it from the crowd point of view: You jog across the court, and try to communicate with a coach surrounded by players in a tight scrum, so it's like you are right back at the jr. high dance, standing on the wall, being ignored. Then you stand there being ignored for a while, and the coach breaks when the coach wants to break. Why do they have us insert ourselves into the team moment-- seems very counter to good officiating theory. There are some things in it that make sense if you understand the nuance, but to the fans we just look like idiots.

Last edited by rotationslim; Fri Jan 26, 2018 at 08:40am.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 08:41am
Do not give a damn!!

If you say so. Then again I do not care what fans think about anything we do.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Improvement suggestions?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 08:48am
Courageous When Prudent

I have no problems. I hit my whistle loudly and announce "First horn". Half the time, at least in the games I do, there is an AC who acknowledges me and then informs his boss to start wrapping things up.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Improvement suggestions?
No first horn whistle. They hear the horns, so start issuing DOG warnings when they are too slow after the second horn, then T the rest of the game.

(I don't think this needs to be done, but if the OP wants us out of the process, that's the way to go)
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Raymond, wouldn't the FED remedy for delay following a TO be the drastic ROP, not a DOG warning?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I've never even thought about it. We always pregame that if a coach delays more than once, we'll use the prescribed procedures to make sure it doesn't happen anymore. I got dinged on an eval this year for staying close to the huddle after the first horn to make sure they broke the huddle on time. He said get in, let them know, and get away-- no need to stick around.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I've never even thought about it. We always pregame that if a coach delays more than once, we'll use the prescribed procedures to make sure it doesn't happen anymore. I got dinged on an eval this year for staying close to the huddle after the first horn to make sure they broke the huddle on time. He said get in, let them know, and get away-- no need to stick around.
I will just point out that the specific mechanics on this vary by area and level (some stay in, some leave right away, some stay until the ROP starts, ....)
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

In NCAAM they wanted us to go on first horn, stay, and dig them out. Then the subsequent year, they wanted us to go over at first horn, tell them, and get away. When has, under normal TO circumstances, there ever been two teams ready to play at the second horn? Dumb IMO.

I think that coaches/players are numb to first horns, or horns in general. But they do not appear to be numb to whistles. At first horn, a long, loud blast of the whistle usually causes TO activity to cease and players break huddles.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:47am
TODO: creative title here

Had a team a couple of weeks ago that's notorious for being late out of time-outs. Also had an R whose personal pet peeve is teams being late out of time-outs.

R's pregame speech emphasized the "let's be ready to play on the second horn", but sure enough, they were slow getting out of the TO.

On the second TO, this team was going to be on defense, and the throw-in was going to take place right next to their bench. Since I had to be over there anyway to administer the throw-in, I stood right next to their huddle. About a second after the 2nd horn, they were still huddling, so I blew my whistle as hard as I possibly could for about 3 seconds, about 3 feet from the coaches ear.

They weren't late coming out of a TO for the rest of the night.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:51am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
...the coach breaks when the coach wants to break.
Resumption of play?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:51am
Often wrong never n doubt

If we had/would put the ball on the floor at the second horn with no exception then this would stop real quick.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
if we had/would put the ball on the floor at the second horn with no exception then this would stop real quick.
qft.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 11:26am
AremRed

I wish the NFHS had NCAA-length timeouts. I never seem to have a problem with college teams breaking the huddle -- after 75 seconds of hearing their coach drone on they want to get out of there and play again.

The NFHS resumption of play procedure also sucks when you have to use it. I had to whack a coach after I used it on him earlier this year after they were still in the huddle 5 seconds after the 2nd horn after multiple warnings by my partner. The other team was ready to go and so were the refs. I switched tableside a min later and he was yelling in my ear "that's funny", and "you better do that allllll game!" and would not calm down so I just gave him one. The best part was that the other team did the same thing late in the 4th and I put the ball down on them too.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

What Raymond and jeremy341a said.

I hit my whistle hard with two or three bursts when approaching the huddle. I've noticed there's usually a player or two on the fringe that immediately stand at attention/turn around and look, as well as, an ass. coach that usually looks at me and nods then dives into the huddle.

Most teams are out of there before the 2nd horn.

The most frustrating thing about my experiences on any given night are not with the team. It's with my partner that's not as assertive as I am when approaching the other team.

Grrrrrrr