The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Contact on Jump Shooter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103407-contact-jump-shooter.html)

Stripes33 Wed Jan 24, 2018 01:04pm

Contact on Jump Shooter

This situation happened last night during a varsity boys game.

Late 4th quarter on a fast break, guard swings the ball to the wing for an open 3 point shot. The defender runs to try and challenge the shot and pokes the shooter in the stomach.

I immediately blow my whistle as the ball falls short of the rim - shooting 3 free throws. The offending teams coach asks me what his player did and I explain that his player committed a foul by illegally contacting the shooter with the poke. He argues that the contact is not foul and should be ignored.

Keep in mind I hadn't seen this at any other point or shot attempt in the game other than this critical point.

Thoughts on this call?

johnny d Wed Jan 24, 2018 01:18pm

travel

UNIgiantslayers Wed Jan 24, 2018 01:22pm

I would've walked away and not even address a ridiculous comment like that. He wouldn't have gotten another answer from me.

crosscountry55 Wed Jan 24, 2018 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1015357)
I would've walked away and not even address a ridiculous comment like that. He wouldn't have gotten another answer from me.

I might say, “Coach, at the very least it’s an unsporting act and I could have called something else.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

todd66 Wed Jan 24, 2018 01:42pm

Not a basketball play! Could have called intentional.

JRutledge Wed Jan 24, 2018 02:00pm

"Well coach if saying that makes you feel better..." Then walk away.

Peace

Raymond Wed Jan 24, 2018 02:16pm

"Coach, I know some officials who would call it an Intentional Foul"

or

"I didn't ask for your approval"

Depends on my mood.

UNIgiantslayers Wed Jan 24, 2018 02:20pm

I tend to just walk away from dumb comments like that. The alternative is I come off as a jerk because I only have smart alec remarks. It's clear he either thinks I'm an idiot or he's an idiot. Either way, no reason to say anything here.

JRutledge Wed Jan 24, 2018 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1015377)
I tend to just walk away from dumb comments like that. The alternative is I come off as a jerk because I only have smart alec remarks. It's clear he either thinks I'm an idiot or he's an idiot. Either way, no reason to say anything here.

Then you get accused of being unapproachable because you did not respond or having an attitude. The problem is nothing you do with certain people works. So if you say something they will claim you were wrong and when you do not say anything you were also wrong. My goal, do what you feel is best for the situation and not worry about it.

Peace

sdoebler Wed Jan 24, 2018 02:59pm

Argues is a bit of a vague term. Go with old adage of responding to questions not comments. If he asks a non-hypothetical question you can answer him, otherwise it is just a comment that can be ignored or acknowledge with a non verbal cue.

bucky Wed Jan 24, 2018 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes33 (Post 1015354)

Late 4th quarter on a fast break, guard swings the ball to the wing for an open 3 point shot. The defender runs to try and challenge the shot and pokes the shooter in the stomach.

I immediately blow my whistle as the ball falls short of the rim - shooting 3 free throws. The offending teams coach asks me what his player did and I explain that his player committed a foul by illegally contacting the shooter with the poke. He argues that the contact is not foul and should be ignored.

Keep in mind I hadn't seen this at any other point or shot attempt in the game other than this critical point.

Thoughts on this call?

Easy and great call. No room for that playground/rec league garbage contact. It is a dirty play IMO. As a shooter, it is very irritating/affecting too.

JRutledge Wed Jan 24, 2018 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1015387)
Argues is a bit of a vague term. Go with old adage of responding to questions not comments. If he asks a non-hypothetical question you can answer him, otherwise it is just a comment that can be ignored or acknowledge with a non verbal cue.

The problem is that is an old adage that does not often work anymore. If you do not ever respond, they escalate the commentary which will result in an action by you if it is never. For example, are you going to allow a coach to say repeatedly things about the foul count and never address those comments because they are statements? Because if you give just a T and say nothing, then the position they will have, "What did I do?"

Peace

Stat-Man Wed Jan 24, 2018 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes33 (Post 1015354)

(....)

Thoughts on this call?

Over the past two seasons, I've had my share of plays where a defender contacts the airborne shooter in the stomach or side. If I see it, I call it.