The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Declaring the game a forfeit (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103400-declaring-game-forfeit.html)

CJP Tue Jan 23, 2018 03:56pm

Declaring the game a forfeit

I was a spectator at a game the other day where a very good team was playing a very weak team. The good team applied full court pressure the first quarter and jumped out to a 20 point lead by the end of the first 8 minutes. A couple of minutes into the second quarter, after a timeout, the weaker team began intentionally rolling the ball to the opposing team. This went on for 4-5 intentional turnovers which turned into unopposed layups. It was very embarrassing for those kids. Their coach was on his feet encouraging them to "do it again" each time. After the 5th or so intentional turnover, the better team backed off of the full court press and the other team began playing again. I thought to myself, if I was officiating this game, at what point do we stop the game and call it a forfeit? What if the better team kept up the pressure? Has anyone ever had to declare a forfeit due to a situation like this? What would you have done if it continued?

bucky Tue Jan 23, 2018 04:07pm

If the team continued to roll it to the defense, I would consider forfeiting in favor of the team far ahead. I would, of course, only consider a forfeit as a last resort. Other methods of working/speaking with the coaches would be tried first. There is nothing, rule-wise of which I know, against running up the score. That will rectify itself socially or among the administrators of the schools. Also, usually schools/leagues have mercy rules where the clock will be running, for just such unequal teams.

Tough spot for the officials for sure.

SC Official Tue Jan 23, 2018 04:26pm

In a scholastic game, it's unlikely I would declare a game a "forfeit," even though the rules allow us to. Most likely I'd "suspend" the contest and let the state office declare it a forfeit or decide to resume it at a later date.

After the offending team did this a couple times, I'd stop play and tell the coach and the game manager, in no uncertain terms, "We are going to play basketball or this game will be suspended." The choice is theirs.

UNIgiantslayers Tue Jan 23, 2018 04:26pm

Sounds like easy money to me.

SC Official Tue Jan 23, 2018 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1015283)
Also, usually schools/leagues have mercy rules where the clock will be running, for just such unequal teams.

Not sure if this is the correct term. Certainly is not the case in South Carolina.

JRutledge Tue Jan 23, 2018 04:42pm

The only way I would consider a forfeit for a game where the mismatch of the teams would be when the losing coach comes to me and says they do not want to play anymore. Otherwise, there is nothing that is going to be done but call the game. Not my job to just end the game unless there really is some contentious or violent situation that took place. This is not one of those situations at all. Play on. I might suggest that we could just run the clock to get the game over with if it is that bad, but forfeiting the game would have to be done on the part of the teams.

I did have a forfeit this year after some hard fouls and contentious play, but the losing team made the suggestion. We also called like around 5 technicals between the teams and ejected the losing coach.

Peace

BlueDevilRef Wed Jan 24, 2018 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1015289)
Not sure if this is the correct term. Certainly is not the case in South Carolina.

You don’t have turbo clock? Oh god, that’s painful.

Our Jh’s used to have 25 points for 2nd half. Now they conform to MO adopted of 30+ in 4th quarter

SC Official Wed Jan 24, 2018 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1015404)
You don’t have turbo clock? Oh god, that’s painful.

Our Jh’s used to have 25 points for 2nd half. Now they conform to MO adopted of 30+ in 4th quarter

Nope. Some coaches will agree to run the clock but we don't have an official mercy rule. And I don't think we're in the minority nationwide.

sdoebler Wed Jan 24, 2018 05:13pm

We just got an official sportsmanship rule implemented this year across all levels, varsity included