The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Simultaneous whistles (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103382-simultaneous-whistles.html)

rbruno Sat Jan 20, 2018 09:48am

Simultaneous whistles

Had this happen last night. Think we got it correct. My partner as lead has a tie up (held ball) in his area. Just before the held ball coach of the team that had possession is calling time out just behind me as trail. We have simultaneous whistles, his for a held ball, mine to grant the time out.
We got together and I told him our whistles were simultaneous. We decided that he was calling time out before my whistle so we should go with the time out call instead of the held ball. Is that what you guys would do? Could you go with the time out AND held ball?? The coach calling time did not have the arrow... so I would guess he wouldn't be happy with that ruling as he would waste a time out.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 20, 2018 09:54am

Decide which happened first and go with that.

There's some case play that shows you can have fouls that happen at the same time, but you can't have a foul and a violation at the same time. Use the same type of logic here.

BryanV21 Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:16am

Was the time out request made before the tie-up started? If players from both teams have control of the ball, thus the held ball, then can you grant a time out?

JRutledge Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:21am

I would only care what happened first. The timing of the whistles would not be that much of an issue. Because if I clearly had a timeout before a "tie up," I am going with the tie up before the held ball. Do that often throughout the season and not much of a discussion honestly.

Peace

BillyMac Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:52pm

"Timeout, Timeout, Timeout" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1015039)
I would only care what happened first. The timing of the whistles would not be that much of an issue ... Do that often throughout the season and not much of a discussion honestly.

Agree. And, as JRutledge stated, this is not an uncommon occurrence. In a situation where a team has player control, a coach would rather burn a timeout and have the certainty of keeping the ball after the time out, versus the 50/50 chance of getting the ball after a held ball (or the flip side, losing the arrow if they have the arrow).

I wish I had a dollar for every time, in this situation, a coach yells, "Timeout, timeout, timeout", when a held ball is about to happen, especially a girls game.

I'd be a thousandaire.

Bottom line? As JRutledge stated, it's what came first, held ball, or timeout request, not who's whistle came first (or "My whistle is bigger than your whistle").

crosscountry55 Sat Jan 20, 2018 01:22pm

Simultaneous whistles

Agree with the comments so far. A secondary observation is that the held ball official must have had an awfully quick whistle for that if there was enough player control right before that to justify the timeout. Sometimes the temperature of the game necessitates quicker held ball calls than normal, that much I get. My question for the the calling official would be: Were you ok with the speed of that held ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Mon Jan 22, 2018 03:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1015039)
Because if I clearly had a timeout before a "tie up," I am going with the tie up before the held ball.

Reading this doesn't make sense.

sdoebler Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1015136)
Reading this doesn't make sense.

I think that he missed an "m"

bucky Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1015152)
I think that he missed an "m"

and more