The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: NOT BI in NFHS (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103369-video-request-not-bi-nfhs.html)

crosscountry55 Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:18pm

Video Request: NOT BI in NFHS

Kentucky @ South Carolina, 1/16/18, ESPN, 3:30 2nd Half.

This is why HS coaches think that some backboard slaps equate to BI. It’s because they see it on TV. Worth showing and pointing out that this is NOT BI at the HS level.

Now should it be? I think so but that’s a separate discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Wed Jan 17, 2018 01:33am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GXYyh2NuH0E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Jay R Wed Jan 17, 2018 07:28am

I assume he didn't call BI, he called goaltending. Having said that, it was neither.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 17, 2018 08:38am

I didn's see any slap of the backboard worth discussing here. The GT call is very close -- some give all the benefit of the doubt to the offense on this play.

Raymond Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1014800)
Kentucky @ South Carolina, 1/16/18, ESPN, 3:30 2nd Half.

This is why HS coaches think that some backboard slaps equate to BI. It’s because they see it on TV. Worth showing and pointing out that this is NOT BI at the HS level.

Now should it be? I think so but that’s a separate discussion.

This was a GT call, not BI.

crosscountry55 Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20am

Video Request: NOT BI in NFHS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 1014806)
I assume he didn't call BI, he called goaltending. Having said that, it was neither.

No, the announcer called it goaltending. That doesn’t make it goaltending.

Rich Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1014816)
No, the announcer called it goaltending. That doesn’t make it goaltending.

I think that's what the C called, too. He likely thought it hit the board before it was touched.

crosscountry55 Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24am

When the ball is above a rattling basket following a backboard slap, how does that not fall under the BI rule?

Raymond Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1014818)
When the ball is above a rattling basket following a backboard slap, how does that not fall under the BI rule?

The call was made b/c the defender made contact with the ball, not b/c he made contact with the backboard. Whether or not it was GT is a different debate concerning judgment. I've never found debates about whether or not an particular play was GT to be very enlightening.

As far as a "rattling basket following a backboard slap", that's only relevant if the ball falls off the ring due to the vibration. The ball being ABOVE a rattling basket means nothing.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1014818)

I don't see that. I agree (upon further review) that the the player's hand contacted the backboard. It doesn't appear to be hard enough to cause any problems.

crosscountry55 Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1014826)
As far as a "rattling basket following a backboard slap", that's only relevant if the ball falls off the ring due to the vibration. The ball being ABOVE a rattling basket means nothing.

Ahhhh. Gotcha. Thanks.

Again, for all the readers out there, this is an NCAA rule, not an NFHS rule.

crosscountry55 Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1014827)
I don't see that. I agree (upon further review) that the the player's hand contacted the backboard. It doesn't appear to be hard enough to cause any problems.

I didn’t need to see it. I HEARD it in real time. That’s why I assumed this was a BI call. In analyzing that, I neglected to consider the possibility of GT (I just assumed the announcers used it as a blanket term as usual). But yeah, I guess GT is what C had. The signal is no different from the one where you award points for BI, correct?

JRutledge Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1014840)
I didn’t need to see it. I HEARD it in real time. That’s why I assumed this was a BI call. In analyzing that, I neglected to consider the possibility of GT (I just assumed the announcers used it as a blanket term as usual). But yeah, I guess GT is what C had. The signal is no different from the one where you award points for BI, correct?

This is actually kind of semantics. This is mainly an NCAA rule that said that we are to count the basket on a slapped backboard. I think for this specific act, it is used interchangeably to call it BI or even GT when the NF never have such a rule. GT in NF rules only is about touching the ball and BI is about touching the ball or the basket/rim/net with the ball in a certain location at the time of the touch.

I get it and it is correct to call it what it actually is, but this is a relatively newer rule that you have to put out of your mind what was done for years. I know I say BI not thinking of anything other than we will count the basket if the backboard is hit hard enough to rattle the rim during a shot. But clearly, this is nothing related to either BI or GT in an NF game.

Peace

Raymond Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1014840)

I always do the swirly finger thing for BI.

SC Official Wed Jan 17, 2018 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1014846)
I always do the swirly finger thing for BI.

How dare you use an unapproved signal. ;)

(Btw, this is what I do, too.)