The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Arrow late in the quarter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103351-arrow-late-quarter.html)

bainsey Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16pm

Arrow late in the quarter

Last night, my partner had an inadvertent whistle with 1.7 seconds left in the third quarter. There was no team control (during a rebound), so we had to go to the arrow, which means a team had to go the length of the court in too short of a time, and the opposition gets the arrow for the start of the fourth quarter.

Granted, it's rare, but I've always hated to see a team get the arrow with so little time that the opportunity to score is basically lost. I've always wondered if there should be a rule that allows a team to defer their arrow to the opposition, letting that team get the next one.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36pm

I've thought the same thing -- either "defer" or just let the time expire and start the next quarter (with so limit on the time allowed, of course)

Rich Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:38pm

Just tell them they'll get 2 of the next 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45pm

This type of play makes one wish that the Rules would do away with the Alternating Possession Arrow. Just saying, :p!

MTD, Sr.

crosscountry55 Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:33am

You could always just commit a team control foul. Maybe a little risky to take one in your backcourt; I guess you’d have to decide how much the arrow mattered to you. I’d definitely consider this with 0.3 or less on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC Official Sat Jan 13, 2018 01:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1014625)
You could always just commit a team control foul. Maybe a little risky to take one in your backcourt; I guess you’d have to decide how much the arrow mattered to you. I’d definitely consider this with 0.3 or less on the clock.

A coach would also have to know the rule to employ this strategy.

LRZ Sat Jan 13, 2018 08:47am

Hard cases make bad law. Is this a solution in search of a problem?

Mregor Sat Jan 13, 2018 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 1014618)
Last night, my partner had an inadvertent whistle with 1.7 seconds left in the third quarter. There was no team control (during a rebound), so we had to go to the arrow, which means a team had to go the length of the court in too short of a time, and the opposition gets the arrow for the start of the fourth quarter.

Granted, it's rare, but I've always hated to see a team get the arrow with so little time that the opportunity to score is basically lost. I've always wondered if there should be a rule that allows a team to defer their arrow to the opposition, letting that team get the next one.

No team control so why not just line everyone up on FT line closest to where the ball was when you had the IW, and throw the ball off the backboard and let them play on from there. Start the clock when ball hits backboard. That seems the most fair.

Altor Sun Jan 14, 2018 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mregor (Post 1014644)
No team control so why not just line everyone up on FT line closest to where the ball was when you had the IW, and throw the ball off the backboard and let them play on from there. Start the clock when ball hits backboard. That seems the most fair.

If you are going to do that, why not just use a mechanic that is already in use instead of making up your own? Once upon a time, the semi circle above the FT line had a purpose unrelated to free throws...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1014624)
This type of play makes one wish that the Rules would do away with the Alternating Possession Arrow.

amIright, MTD?

FormerUmp Sun Jan 14, 2018 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1014665)
If you are going to do that, why not just use a mechanic that is already in use instead of making up your own? Once upon a time, the semi circle above the FT line had a purpose unrelated to free throws...

amIright, MTD?

Ooh ooh! Is it like those circles on a hockey rink?!

LRZ Sun Jan 14, 2018 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1014665)

“Hey man, you crazy or sumpin’/You see what happened last time they started.” --Bob Dylan