The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When to Kill a Play for an Apparent Injury (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103330-when-kill-play-apparent-injury.html)

bainsey Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:41am

When to Kill a Play for an Apparent Injury

A-1 goes down on an apparent non-serious injury (no head contact, etc.). Typically, if Team A is in control, I kill the play, but if Team B is in control, I prefer to hold my whistle and let it play out.

Had one today that was different: I'm the T. A-1 and B-2 both went down above the three-point line. My instinct told me to hold my whistle, as A-3 was driving the lane. The L wound up calling a common foul against B-4 a few seconds later, and I immediately beckoned both coaches.

While nothing major came out of this, thankfully, I'm wondering whether I should have killed the play immediately, as both teams were involved. While you can say this is a HTBT, does anyone have any general rules for double-injury?

Camron Rust Sun Jan 07, 2018 01:51am

Immediate scoring attempt in progress....wait. Passing it around, dribbling around...kill it.

LRZ Sun Jan 07, 2018 09:37am

For me, it depends to some degree on the age of the players. I agree with Camron about an immediate scoring opportunity, but with little kids, I'm a lot more cautious than with teenagers. But any doubt, err on the side of safety first, as BryanV21 said.

BryanV21 Sun Jan 07, 2018 09:37am

Players safety is, and should be, #1.

If a player hits their head hard I'm stopping play immediately. If somebody in that situation gets upset that I prevented a basket then it's their priorities that are the problem.

I know got don't want this, but each situation can be much different. You have to ask yourself "can this wait?"

In the end, though, never be afraid to stop play in case of injury.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The_Rookie Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1014292)
Players safety is, and should be, #1.

If a player hits their head hard I'm stopping play immediately. If somebody in that situation gets upset that I prevented a basket then it's their priorities that are the problem.

I know got don't want this, but each situation can be much different. You have to ask yourself "can this wait?"

In the end, though, never be afraid to stop play in case of injury.

Two nights ago a player goes up for a contested dunk and his head hits the floor and he is knocked out cold like a boxer! Medics called to the scene and a fan shows a video to the officials proving that it was a clean play and the no call was correct..these guys can sleep easier tonight!

BryanV21 Sun Jan 07, 2018 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1014295)
Two nights ago a player goes up for a contested dunk and his head hits the floor and he is knocked out cold like a boxer! Medics called to the scene and a fan shows a video to the officials proving that it was a clean play and the no call was correct..these guys can sleep easier tonight!

Huh? I have no idea what you're trying to tell me.

Smitty Mon Jan 08, 2018 07:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1014289)
Immediate scoring attempt in progress....wait. Passing it around, dribbling around...kill it.

This is my general rule as well.

ChuckS Mon Jan 08, 2018 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1014296)
Huh? I have no idea what you're trying to tell me.

"these guys can sleep easier tonight!"

"These guys" refers to the officials, who can "sleep easier tonight" (sarcasm), since the fan video proved that their call was correct - and that the fan cared more about the call than the health of the player.

BryanV21 Mon Jan 08, 2018 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 1014336)
"these guys can sleep easier tonight!"

"These guys" refers to the officials, who can "sleep easier tonight" (sarcasm), since the fan video proved that their call was correct - and that the fan cared more about the call than the health of the player.

No, I understand what the post in and of itself meant. What doesn't make sense is leaving it has a reply to my post, which had nothing to do with the fans or getting the call right.

JRutledge Mon Jan 08, 2018 09:51am

Video of game this year.

What about this play?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Voe0ITBaYQw" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

BryanV21 Mon Jan 08, 2018 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1014339)
What about this play?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Voe0ITBaYQw" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

I don't see what happened right after he landed, so like these officials I would have continued down the court. Once the ball reached the division line we lose sight of the player, so I can't tell what's going on with him. The away team passes the ball around the perimeter a couple of times, giving the officials ample opportunity to stop play and attend to the player, though.

Assuming that once the ball reaches the division line, and the home player has not moved or sat down, I'm stopping play to check on him... long before the entry pass into the lane.

AremRed Mon Jan 08, 2018 09:57am

Play 1: I would have killed the play at 13 seconds.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 08, 2018 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1014339)
What about this play?

Stop it on the try -- whether made or missed.

See 5-8-2 NOTE

UNIgiantslayers Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1014341)
Play 1: I would have killed the play at 13 seconds.

Yep. As soon as he pulled back and wasn't running the break, I'd probably blow it dead.

Raymond Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1014340)
I don't see what happened right after he landed, so like these officials I would have continued down the court. Once the ball reached the division line we lose sight of the player, so I can't tell what's going on with him. The away team passes the ball around the perimeter a couple of times, giving the officials ample opportunity to stop play and attend to the player, though.

Assuming that once the ball reaches the division line, and the home player has not moved or sat down, I'm stopping play to check on him... long before the entry pass into the lane.

I don't lose sight of players who go down and may be injured. In a 3-man crew, I will always stay in the backcourt until play can be stopped.