The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Home team wearing read (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103327-home-team-wearing-read.html)

stewcall Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36am

Home team wearing red

Tournament game traveling team is home. Coach knew they were the home team...they come out wearing red jerseys. Did not bring white ones...neither did the other traveling team (visitors). High school game. We start the game with a 2 shot technical and ball at half court. Was this correct?
Stew in Va

bob jenkins Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:01pm

Correct by rule. And, the "home" team coach has to sit (the T is direct to him).

Now, some areas set aside this rule for holiday tournaments.

stewcall Sat Jan 06, 2018 03:38pm

Thanks- that is what we did. We looked for the AD running the tournament-- could not be found--or anyone else in her place. Did not affect the outcome of the game. Clearly explained to both coaches at the 12 min mark before the game started-- no issues
Stew

just another ref Sat Jan 06, 2018 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewcall (Post 1014275)
Thanks- that is what we did. We looked for the AD running the tournament-- could not be found--or anyone else in her place. Did not affect the outcome of the game. Clearly explained to both coaches at the 12 min mark before the game started-- no issues
Stew

What did you want the athletic director for?

stewcall Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:48am

both teams were in the loser's bracket. Perhaps the home team had no knowledge of their home status. Perhaps he had told the team that red was acceptable. Just wanted as much knowledge as possible before we implemented the rule.
Just didn't like starting the game with a T due to a uniform infraction during a holiday tournament.
Stew

Raymond Sun Jan 07, 2018 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewcall (Post 1014293)
both teams were in the loser's bracket. Perhaps the home team had no knowledge of their home status. Perhaps he had told the team that red was acceptable. Just wanted as much knowledge as possible before we implemented the rule.
Just didn't like starting the game with a T due to a uniform infraction during a holiday tournament.
Stew

The confusion is that in your original post you stated the home team was aware they were the home team.

stewcall Sun Jan 07, 2018 09:08pm

Yes sorry for the confusion. Before I went to the coach of the "home" team, I did seek our the school's AD who was in charge of the tournament, to seek information. When that person was not to be found, I went to the team's head coach who stated he was aware that his team was "home" team.
Stew

just another ref Mon Jan 08, 2018 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewcall (Post 1014293)
Stew

A couple of things. First, I agree with you about no T during ANY tournament for this. That's just my take. BUT, if you are in any way considering giving one, I don't really see where the AD (or anybody else for that matter) telling them it's okay would change that.

Rich Ives Mon Jan 08, 2018 02:28pm

How much does anyone really care?

Syracuse at Wake Forest Jan 3. Wake in Black, Syracuse in white.

Raymond Mon Jan 08, 2018 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1014374)

If an official has an assignor/commissioner or a state governing body who cares, then that official is going to care. Not quite sure I can use the "how much does anyone really care?" response if I get called on the carpet for it.

Quote:

College is not HS. Different rules, different protocols.

And if you think folks don't notice, last season I did the first game of a D3 doubleheader. A major D1 supervisor happened to be in attendance. After my game, he pulled me aside and asked why we let the visiting team wear illegal tights (jerseys were dark grey, tights were dark green).

SC Official Mon Jan 08, 2018 05:45pm

Quote:

NFHS requires white for the home team. NCAA does not. It’s really that simple. Now, your state may not want you to make an issue of this (mine would rather we just write a report), but you can’t compare high school to college on this.

packersowner Mon Jan 08, 2018 06:04pm

I am pretty sure I read an article about this a few years back where this happened in a state tournament in Wisconsin or maybe it was Iowa. Anyone else remember this?

It just dawned on me while we always brought both sets of uniforms in high school to any tournament. :eek:

SC Official Mon Jan 08, 2018 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 1014404)
I am pretty sure I read an article about this a few years back where this happened in a state tournament in Wisconsin or maybe it was Iowa. Anyone else remember this?

It just dawned on me while we always brought both sets of uniforms in high school to any tournament. :eek:

Two out of town teams in a South Carolina state final a couple years ago took only white uniforms to Columbia. The offending team had to go get black pennies from a sports shop.

packersowner Mon Jan 08, 2018 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1014405)
Two out of town teams in a South Carolina state final a couple years ago took only white uniforms to Columbia. The offending team had to go get black pennies from a sports shop.

Ha Ha!

Did they have numbers on them and/or meet the number restrictions?:D

SC Official Mon Jan 08, 2018 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 1014407)
Ha Ha!

Did they have numbers on them and/or meet the number restrictions?:D

Couldn't tell you. I can tell you that the undershirt rule was ignored.