The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 03:19am
We don't rent pigs

Intentional fouls, end of game

Is this another thing that "the rule is what it is, but you just don't call that" now, or at least more than it was a few years ago? Around here I see more and more blatant grabs around the waist from behind with nothing that resembles a play on the ball called a common foul.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 08:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Is this another thing that "the rule is what it is, but you just don't call that" now, or at least more than it was a few years ago? Around here I see more and more blatant grabs around the waist from behind with nothing that resembles a play on the ball called a common foul.
Sounds like something you need to bring up with your local rules interpreters.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd say the reverse -- since it became emphasized at NCAA and FED, these incidents have lessened.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Intentional Fouls ...

Quote:
Is this another thing that "the rule is what it is, but you just don't call that" now, or at least more than it was a few years ago?.
The only change that I can think of is that many years ago the NFHS recognized that coaches used a time management strategy and were allowed to tell their players to foul their opponent. Previous to that change, if a coach instructed their players to foul their opponents, it was always considered to be an intentional foul. Now, the NFHS allows such strategy, and such fouls are no longer "automatic" intentionals but must still meet the requirements of being intentional (no play on the ball, defense grabs the jersey, pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The only change that I can think of is that many years ago the NFHS recognized that coaches used a time management strategy and were allowed to tell their players to foul their opponent. Previous to that change, if a coach instructed their players to foul their opponents, it was always considered to be an intentional foul. Now, the NFHS allows such strategy, and such fouls are no longer "automatic" intentionals but must still meet the requirements of being intentional (no play on the ball, defense grabs the jersey, pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player).
I never understood this. When I previously coached, my instructions were to go for a steal aggressively. If the kids gets called for a foul, then so be it; the clock stops.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 11:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Steal The Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
I never understood this.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, back in my middle school basketball coaching days, friends who were officials instructed me to use a code word rather than yell, "Foul". Our code word was, "Steal the ball". When I yelled that my players knew to foul, while still going for the ball, in order to stop the clock.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)