The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Arizona @ Utah plays (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103321-arizona-utah-plays-video.html)

JRutledge Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06am

Arizona @ Utah plays (Video)

Play #1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cN9GAf9x1SM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Raymond Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:37am

I don't know if I would consider that contact illegal.

AremRed Fri Jan 05, 2018 08:37am

RA blocking foul, Larry needs to un-twist his panties.

deecee Fri Jan 05, 2018 08:37am

I have no call. That's not a call the L should make, has no angle on anything.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 05, 2018 08:38am

Not an RA block. By point to the RA, it implies that this would have been a charge except that red was in the RA -- and I don't think that's the case at all.

I thought on one of the views that maybe red didn't get to the spot before blue was airborne and thus didn't give blue a spot to land (and blue stumbles). on a different view, that doesn't seem to be the case.

AremRed Fri Jan 05, 2018 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1014182)
Not an RA block. By point to the RA, it implies that this would have been a charge except that red was in the RA -- and I don't think that's the case at all.

This isn't a block/charge play, this is a grounded play. Defenders are not allowed to be grounded in the RA, they must jump vertically to take contact and contest a shot.

DrPete Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1014185)
This isn't a block/charge play, this is a grounded play. Defenders are not allowed to be grounded in the RA, they must jump vertically to take contact and contest a shot.

What does that mean?

johnny d Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39am

Arem is correct. Contact on a shooter by a grounded secondary defender is by rule a foul on the defender. Crap rule, easy correct call.

johnny d Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 1014192)
What does that mean?

It means you should read a NCAA-M rule book or watch the NCAA-M videos explaining the rule.

Raymond Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45am

Quote:

There has to be some form of illegal contact, by either the offense or the defense. Merely being in the RA and not jumping doesn't make it a foul

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

JRutledge Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:46am

Quote:

Unless there is illegal contact, there is no requirement for the defender to be outside of this area to avoid a foul either by jumping or standing. This would not have been a PC foul anyway. This was a vertical, legal defender that happened to get a foul called on him if the only reason the foul was called was that he was in the RA (as indicated by the official). Again, you could make a case that this was not a vertical defender, but if the if that is the case, there is not RA play at all. It would not matter if he was in the RA if he is not legal otherwise.

I actually see why he called this, but I think it was not what I would want to call personally if a big guy is standing his ground on a little guy that basically bounced off of him.

Peace

JRutledge Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 1014194)
It means you should read a NCAA-M rule book or watch the NCAA-M videos explaining the rule.

That is not what the rule says. The rule is clear that there must be illegal contact and the purpose of drawing an offensive foul. He was not doing that, he was defending the play and by all accounts was vertical.

Peace

Camron Rust Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1014197)
That is not what the rule says. The rule is clear that there must be illegal contact and the purpose of drawing an offensive foul. He was not doing that, he was defending the play and by all accounts was vertical.

Peace

Agree. I'd have a no call on that anywhere on the floor.

crosscountry55 Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29pm

Not an NCAA official, but we can parse this six ways to Sunday with NCAA rules and I’d still have a no call. I think this is one the L wants back and I think he knew it right away (evidenced by the oversell and the rope he gave to the coach).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AremRed Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:39pm

JD is pretty clear in the coaches rules training video from this summer that the defender must jump and may not remain grounded in the RA to contest the shot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xZ5dNWuZkVo?rel=0&amp;start=811" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>