The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Protecting the free throw shooter

Couple different scenarios regarding protecting the free throw shooter from getting the 'hard' box outs from the defender in the top spot on the lane line...

First situation team foul count is 4 fouls, after the 2nd free throw is released the defender in the top spot does the hard box out before it hits the rim on the shooter and pushes him/her well beyond the 3 point line..what is the penalty?

Next, the foul count will be 8 fouls and the team is shooting the front end of a one and one and the same thing happens, the defender does the hard box out on the shooter and the ball goes in. I know you report the foul and shoot the 2nd one but what else is done? Thanks in advance
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refd View Post
Couple different scenarios regarding protecting the free throw shooter from getting the 'hard' box outs from the defender in the top spot on the lane line...

First situation team foul count is 4 fouls, after the 2nd free throw is released the defender in the top spot does the hard box out before it hits the rim on the shooter and pushes him/her well beyond the 3 point line..what is the penalty?

Next, the foul count will be 8 fouls and the team is shooting the front end of a one and one and the same thing happens, the defender does the hard box out on the shooter and the ball goes in. I know you report the foul and shoot the 2nd one but what else is done? Thanks in advance

I had a similar situation occur before break. We determined that this is the one instance where you can have a violation followed by a common foul, and penalize both. So in the first scenario, shooter gets another shot, and the foul count goes up by one. In the 2nd scenario, shooter is entitled to a 2nd throw, though this time with the lanes cleared, as there is no opportunity for a rebound on a miss. Then bring the players back and line up for another 1-1 for that same player.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

You will penalize both the violation and the foul. So, if the first FT is missed, then A1 gets a replacement.

In A, clear the lanes for the replacement, if needed, and then give A the ball OOB (for the 5th team foul on B).

In B, clear the lanes for the replacement, if needed, and the second half of the 1+1, if needed, then put everyone back on the line while A1 shoots 1+1 for the 9th team foul
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You will penalize both the violation and the foul. So, if the first FT is missed, then A1 gets a replacement.

In A, clear the lanes for the replacement, if needed, and then give A the ball OOB (for the 5th team foul on B).

In B, clear the lanes for the replacement, if needed, and the second half of the 1+1, if needed, then put everyone back on the line while A1 shoots 1+1 for the 9th team foul
Ahh!! Dang it, I knew that too!
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Now that it has been a season and a half since this rule was no kidding actually written into the rule book, I think it’s important for me to reflect on how many times I’ve called it. Hmmm, let me think. Oh yeah, once. Let me think about how many times any of my partners have called it. Hmmm. Zero.

Could I have called it more? Absolutely. But I’m very reluctant to do so until it catches on more and/or becomes heavily evaluated. Right now I feel like I’d be an official on an island if I chose to go after this (violation and possible subsequent foul) frequently.

I still think adding this rule was a solution for an insignificant problem. I was always happy to call a foul in that situation. Now, paradoxically, since I usually have to accompany the foul with a violation, I find that I’m less likely to call either because the subsequent administration is so screwy and hard to explain to an incredulous coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refd View Post

From the interpretations:

SITUATION 2: B2 is in a marked lane space after free thrower A1 releases a final free-throw attempt. B2 enters the free-throw semicircle before the ball strikes the ring, contacting A1, whose free-throw attempt is unsuccessful. The official rules a foul on B4 and awards A1 bonus free throws as B4’s foul is the eighth team foul. RULING: The official was correct to rule a foul on B4 — illegal contact occurred. However, the official was incorrect to only award bonus free throws. B4 committed a delayed free-throw violation and A1 should have been given a substitute free throw with the lane cleared prior to the administration of the bonus free throws. Play resumes with the result of A1’s bonus free throws. NFHS/Referee Basketball Preseason Guide 2016. (9-1 PENALTIES 2b)