The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Pre-game Tech Foul before ball is tossed - Indirect?

Enjoyed working a holiday tournament with a veteran HS official who has worked State Finals. He was quizzing me on unusual situations from CE's to False Double Fouls but there was one situation we couldn't clearly find addressed in the Rules Book.
We know pre-game technicals are Indirect on the Coach and we know, to start the game, the ball becomes LIVE when the R tosses the ball in the air. We also know during any intermission period all team members are bench personnel.

Would that mean if A1 were to take a swing at B2 before the R tosses the ball, besides the Flagrant T issued to A1, the HC receives an Indirect T because A1 is actually bench personnel (even though he's legally on the floor as a starter waiting for the game to begin with the tip?)
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Pre-game Tech Foul before ball is tossed - Indirect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRef66 View Post
Enjoyed working a holiday tournament with a veteran HS official who has worked State Finals. He was quizzing me on unusual situations from CE's to False Double Fouls but there was one situation we couldn't clearly find addressed in the Rules Book.

We know pre-game technicals are Indirect on the Coach and we know, to start the game, the ball becomes LIVE when the R tosses the ball in the air. We also know during any intermission period all team members are bench personnel.

Would that mean if A1 were to take a swing at B2 before the R tosses the ball, besides the Flagrant T issued to A1, the HC receives an Indirect T because A1 is actually bench personnel (even though he's legally on the floor as a starter waiting for the game to begin with the tip?)

Good one. I think so. A pre-game dunker is considered a non-player/bench personnel, so coach gets indirect T. I think this situation would be no different in terms of who gets assessed what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sat Dec 30, 2017 at 12:27pm.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

We also discussed the pre-game dunk in the conversation and figured anything up to the ball becoming LIVE must mean everyone is, in effect, bench personnel and the Indirect is assessed to the HC. Thanks!