The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 21, 2017, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

ArbiterPay

One of the conferences I work (and most of my games are in this season) is switching to ArbiterPay, conference-wide.

I'd heard of some potential issues. A search of the forum revealed a security issue from a couple years ago. Wondering what the plus's and minus's are of the ArbiterPay system from those who use it...also wondering if there have been any other security issues since that thread a couple of years ago.

Thanks in advance.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2017, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

You’ll get a 1099 regardless of whether or not you make $600 through ArbiterPay. So if you’re not used to reporting referee income, that’s one thing that’ll change.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2017, 10:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

One of the best things abput ArbiterPay IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Thu Dec 21, 2017, 10:51pm
Stubborn Member

While needing to report all earnings is a pain (not that big a pain, but still...), I like it and haven't had a problem yet.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2019, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to resurrect this old dog, but one of the schools in my area is going strictly ArbiterPay, and my question is:

Will the site automatically mail you the 1099 or otherwise give you a heads up in January/early February that one is available on the site for print?

And just confirming, the 1099 reporting by ArbiterPay begins right at Dollar 1, correct?
Old Thu Nov 21, 2019, 12:56am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Will the site automatically mail you the 1099 or otherwise give you a heads up in January/early February that one is available on the site for print?
I believe officials get an e-mail when their 1099-MISC is available for download/printing -- usually on or before January 31.

It's probably more convenient and cost-efficient for ArbiterPay to notify officials by e-mail instead of snail mailing every single official in the system their copies of Form 1099-MISC.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Nov 21, 2019, 02:45am
Do not give a damn!!

I love it, it makes it easier to get paid. We are supposed to report the income anyway. Also, it is not like every game you work is going to use this method anyway. The games where people get most of their side officiating money is not going to likely use ArbiterPay anyway. It is a huge much to do about nothing if you ask me worrying about a 1099. If you get audited anyway, they will look through your bank accounts and I doubt most of us get total cash for everything. Great system and easier to keep track of what you are paid.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 21, 2019, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

My only issue is you're most likely now you may only see your money a month or more after the games. Usually you get it whenever the teachers get their checks cut. Probably not getting paid the day of the game again.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2019, 12:58pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
My only issue is you're most likely now you may only see your money a month or more after the games. Usually you get it whenever the teachers get their checks cut. Probably not getting paid the day of the game again.
I usually have my $$$ within 48 hrs...
Old Thu Nov 21, 2019, 01:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Check's In The Mail ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
I usually have my $$$ within 48 hrs...
With Arbiter, I've been paid before I get home. Never later than the next day, but usually that day, often at night.

Checks in the mail always take longer.

Definitely an outlier, one local guy finally got his check in September for a game worked in February. Big city. Paperwork (on real cellulose paper) goes from school site director, to school system athletic director, to city hall treasurer.

About half of our high schools and middle schools use Arbiter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 21, 2019 at 02:56pm.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2019, 04:21pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
The majority of schools using ArbiterPay that I've officiated for pay within 1-3 business days after a game. There are also some that pay officials the same day once they've been verified as present and officiating the contest provided someone is still available that can make the ArbiterPay transaction. Otherwise, the payment is made the next business day.

Those schools that pay less frequently tend to be public schools that pay officials on the same periodic schedule as other school district vendors. That has nothing to do with ArbiterPay itself and is more a matter of district payment policy.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Nov 21, 2019, 04:34pm
Stubborn Member

As I was getting changed after officiating my latest scrimmage I got a notification on my phone that I'd just been paid for it. It wasn't 10 minutes after the scrimmage ended.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2019, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
The majority of schools using ArbiterPay that I've officiated for pay within 1-3 business days after a game. There are also some that pay officials the same day once they've been verified as present and officiating the contest provided someone is still available that can make the ArbiterPay transaction. Otherwise, the payment is made the next business day.

Those schools that pay less frequently tend to be public schools that pay officials on the same periodic schedule as other school district vendors. That has nothing to do with ArbiterPay itself and is more a matter of district payment policy.
There were some schools that are were worse than normal with checks, arbiter has made it worse with those schools. Luckily for me, I haven't had to deal with the worst offender but guys are still waiting for September football fees to come through.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2019, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There were some schools that are were worse than normal with checks, arbiter has made it worse with those schools. Luckily for me, I haven't had to deal with the worst offender but guys are still waiting for September football fees to come through.
That's too bad. It's been almost two calendar years now since we started using ArbiterPay. More schools/conferences in my area are jumping on the bandwagon and I wish all of them would. My only issue with it is it takes a few days for the transfer to the bank to go through.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2019, 11:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
That's too bad. It's been almost two calendar years now since we started using ArbiterPay. More schools/conferences in my area are jumping on the bandwagon and I wish all of them would. My only issue with it is it takes a few days for the transfer to the bank to go through.
Arbiterpay eliminates waiting for a check but it doesn't force schools to provide the funds any quicker.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk