The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Front Court/Back Court (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103247-front-court-back-court.html)

Oklahoma official Sat Dec 16, 2017 07:47pm

Front Court/Back Court

Front Court status
A1 passes the ball to A2, ball is deflected by B1 before it gets to A2, after the deflection off of B1, the ball hits the leg of A2 and then goes to the back court, A2 then goes to the back court and is the first to touch the ball.
BACK COURT VIOLATION???? Correct, can someone give me the rule reference please.

billyu2 Sat Dec 16, 2017 08:00pm

Try rule 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklahoma official (Post 1013098)
Front Court status
A1 passes the ball to A2, ball is deflected by B1 before it gets to A2, after the deflection off of B1, the ball hits the leg of A2 and then goes to the back court, A2 then goes to the back court and is the first to touch the ball.
BACK COURT VIOLATION???? Correct, can someone give me the rule reference please.

Since you are looking for a possible backcourt violation, Rule 9, Violations and Penalties is where you might find an answer.

Raymond Sat Dec 16, 2017 09:09pm

And this is for high school, correct? Just asking, because the rule is different for college.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Dec 17, 2017 06:30am

Backcourt ...

NFHS: The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throw-in); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.

bob jenkins Sun Dec 17, 2017 09:42am

Quote:

Front Court status

Not enough information to answer. Was this from a throw-in (with A1 being the inbounder) or from a play where A1 had control inbounds?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1013101)
And this is for high school, correct? Just asking, because the rule is different for college.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Different for NCAAM, not for NCAAW.

BillyMac Sun Dec 17, 2017 09:46am

Multiple Choice ???

Quote:

Front Court status ... A1 passes the ball to A2, ball is deflected by B1 before it gets to A2, after the deflection off of B1, the ball hits the leg of A2 and then goes to the back court, A2 then goes to the back court and is the first to touch the ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1013111)
... from a throw-in (with A1 being the inbounder)?

NFHS: No violation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1013111)
... from a play where A1 had control inbounds?

NFHS: Violation.