The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Whistle End of Quarter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103215-whistle-end-quarter.html)

Stripes33 Fri Dec 08, 2017 02:18pm

Whistle End of Quarter

Can anyone provide a reference for the whistle at the end of each quarter. I know it is a common mechanic but would like verification of the practice.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 08, 2017 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes33 (Post 1012631)
Can anyone provide a reference for the whistle at the end of each quarter. I know it is a common mechanic but would like verification of the practice.

Under what mechanics set?

It's directly in the NCAAW CCA manual.

It's not (so previous discussions here would lead me to believe) in the FED manual.

It is in our state requirements (although I don't know whether or not it's actually listed in the .ppt we have here)

SC Official Fri Dec 08, 2017 03:08pm

Many things that are standard practices are not explicitly spelled out in the CCA/NFHS Manuals.

And some things that are standard practices in one area are not standard practices in other areas.

Rich Fri Dec 08, 2017 04:48pm

Tucking in my shirt isn't in the manual, but I still do it.

jTheUmp Fri Dec 08, 2017 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1012635)
Tucking in my shirt isn't in the manual, but I still do it.

Any excuse to post this exchange from A Few Good Men:
Quote:

Kaffee: Cpl. Barnes, turn to the page in this book that tells me how to get to the mess hall.
Barnes: Lt. Kaffee, that's not in the book, sir.
Kaffee: You mean the whole time you've been at Gitmo, you've never had a meal?
Barnes: No, sir. Three squares a day, sir.
Kaffee: Then how did you find the mess hall if it wasn't in this book?
Barnes: Well, sir, like everybody else, I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir.
Kaffee: No further questions.

SNIPERBBB Fri Dec 08, 2017 05:46pm

We dont here, the OHSAA was a bit pointed a few years ago about not blowing whistles after the horn sounds.

BillyMac Fri Dec 08, 2017 07:05pm

Old Dog, New Tricks ...

Just to slightly change the subject, for the first time ever, even though it's always been in the IAABO Manual, and in the NFHS manual before there was an IAABO manual, Connecticut officials have now been instructed to sound our whistle after a timeout followed by a free throw (the lead sounds his whistle before bouncing the ball to the free thrower).

I know it's in the Manual, but we've never done that here. Do a lot of you do this in your state, region, locality, etc.

Now I have to remember to use two hands to report, and to sound a whistle after a timeout followed by a free throw. The times they are a changin'.

Rich Fri Dec 08, 2017 07:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1012640)
Just to slightly change the subject, for the first time ever, even though it's always been in the IAABO Manual, and in the NFHS manual before there was an IAABO manual, Connecticut officials have been instructed to sound our whistle after a timeout followed by a free throw (the lead sounds his whistle before bouncing the ball to the free thrower).

I know it's in the Manual, but we've never done that here. Do a lot of you do this in your state, region, locality, etc.

Now I have to remember to use two hands to report, and to sound a whistle after a timeout followed by a free throw. The times they are a changin'.

Never.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SC Official Fri Dec 08, 2017 07:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1012638)
We dont here, the OHSAA was a bit pointed a few years ago about not blowing whistles after the horn sounds.

I know some people that officiate football and basketball in Ohio, and it always seems like the powers-that-be don’t have enough things to worry about up there. Case in point...

bucky Sat Dec 09, 2017 03:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes33 (Post 1012631)

I am not aware of a reference if no shot is involved. Otherwise, check rule 6-7 article 5 exceptions A and B.

Raymond Sat Dec 09, 2017 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1012640)
Just to slightly change the subject, for the first time ever, even though it's always been in the IAABO Manual, and in the NFHS manual before there was an IAABO manual, Connecticut officials have been instructed to sound our whistle after a timeout followed by a free throw (the lead sounds his whistle before bouncing the ball to the free thrower).

I do it in my games regardless where I'm working and whether other folks do it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Dec 09, 2017 06:31pm

Please Don't Make Me Start A Poll ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1012676)
I do it in my games regardless where I'm working and whether other folks do it.

In your state, region, or locality, are you the rule, or the exception?

Raymond Sat Dec 09, 2017 06:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1012678)
In your state, region, or locality, are you the rule, or the exception?

Exception, HS and college.

BillyMac Sat Dec 09, 2017 06:38pm

Peer Pressure ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1012679)
Exception, HS and college.

Interesting. As a journeyman varsity official, I just want to blend in with the rest of the furniture. My only scrimmage today was snowed out, and my first game is Saturday. 99% of us have never sounded our whistles after a timeout followed by a free throw. I'm not sure if I want to go along with the crowd, or stand out as a "by the book" official.

Raymond Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1012680)
Interesting. As a journeyman varsity official, I just want to blend in with the rest of the furniture. My only scrimmage today was snowed out, and my first game is Saturday. 99% of us have never sounded our whistles after a timeout followed by a free throw. I'm not sure if I want to go along with the crowd, or stand out as a "by the book" official.

I"ve just like the mechanic since the first time I saw it used.