The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Minnesota High School Basketball (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103213-minnesota-high-school-basketball-video.html)

JRutledge Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59pm

Minnesota High School Basketball (Video)

Play #1:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ffw6Y2Hmtw4" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Play #2:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cfExjzsTNHU" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Play #3:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zMPkgj9kG4A" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

AremRed Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:10pm

Play 1: CNC, 3 points

Play 2: Charge

Play 3: ugly, probably a travel

griblets Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:10pm

1) Not backcourt
2) Easy PC
3) Travel - lifted pivot foot before ball release from hand to start dribble

Thanks for posting the videos, Rut! I might not comment much, but I watch and learn from all of them.

teebob21 Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:16pm

Post like this are why I love reading the basketball side of this forum. If only we had these sort of example clips in the softball world.

As a non BB official (other than emergency person-with-a-pulse coverage on sub-HS games):
#1 - I don't know the rule enough to say. I want to say no backcourt violation.
#2 - In real-time, I like the block call as the defender was moving forward an instant before contact. That said, in slow-mo, I think he gets LGP before the contact, but I could be wrong. Charge/PC.
#3 - Again, I don't know the rule well enough to know, but the release of the ball looks like the start of a dribble. I don't see a travel before the release. I can't see the feet well enough to judge. EDIT: on a few more watchings, I see the pivot foot step now...in slow-mo I think this is a good call.

Multiple Sports Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54pm

Teebob -

Welcome to our hoops page and glad to have you aboard but do you find it neccessary to post your schedule from last year??? With all due respect, I doubt anybody cares.

AremRed Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1012588)
Teebob -

Welcome to our hoops page and glad to have you aboard but do you find it neccessary to post your schedule from last year??? With all due respect, I doubt anybody cares.

Well you cared enough about it to make a post :D

bob jenkins Fri Dec 08, 2017 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1012588)
Teebob -

His sig is just as relevant as yours.

On the videos:

1) Not BC -- we didn't have all "three points" in the FC (during the relevant part of the play)

2) PC

3) Easy travel. The pivot foot was lifted before the ball was released on the dribble.

UNIgiantslayers Fri Dec 08, 2017 08:47am

1. No BC
2. PC (I'm curious if he thought the defender got there late, or...?)
3. Travel (looks to me like the right foot is pivot and he lifts that before the dribble).

so cal lurker Fri Dec 08, 2017 09:56am

Re #2: calls like this are why players recklessly drive to the basket . . .

JRutledge Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1012603)
Re #2: calls like this are why players recklessly drive to the basket . . .

I do not understand how a defender is there that long and the official calls a block on them. If you referee the defense that is easy. We make these calls way too hard and I agree, the game is so much easier when they think they might get called for a foul going hard to the basket.

Peace

Welpe Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22am

1) No backcourt.

2) Is pretty clearly a PC. I'm not sure what more the defender could have done there.

3) Good get on the travel.

Valley Man Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24am

There were more than one plays like Play#2. I was watching the game and thought "Wow I'd like to see that again maybe they will post on forum". All the ones like this seemed to go with block call and even one the guy gave the college mechanic for verticality when the offensive player trucked the defender.

As far as the travel, couldn't you also rule regardless that he started a dribble without a pivot foot thus a travel?

JRutledge Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 1012610)
There were more than one plays like Play#2. I was watching the game and thought "Wow I'd like to see that again maybe they will post on forum". All the ones like this seemed to go with block call and even one the guy gave the college mechanic for verticality when the offensive player trucked the defender.

I will try to spend some time this weekend looking at that game. I just happened to watch the last 5 minutes and caught that one. I will post what I see or observe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 1012610)
As far as the travel, couldn't you also rule regardless that he started a dribble without a pivot foot thus a travel?

I think it was ruled a travel because he jumped off the floor with both feet and dribbled. Well, that is certainly a travel but we will never know for sure unless the official speaks about the play. But they got it right IMO.

Peace

ballgame99 Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:56am

1: correct NC on the backcourt violation. He didn't have 3 points past.
2: PC all day long. These types of block calls only encourage the offense plowing in there and creating dangerous plays. What would you have the defender do? Just get out of the way? If THAT was illegal defense then there is no way to defend that play other than to just get out of the way. Sorry, I just really dislike this call.
3: Great get. These things happen quickly and sometimes a play like that happens and is hard to process, but he definitely picked up the pivot foot (both feet really) before releasing the dribble.

Scrapper1 Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1012605)
I do not understand how a defender is there that long and the official calls a block on them. If you referee the defense that is easy.

Oh, so then you do understand how the official called a block. :D