The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 12:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not understand how a defender is there that long and the official calls a block on them. If you referee the defense that is easy. We make these calls way too hard and I agree, the game is so much easier when they think they might get called for a foul going hard to the basket.

Peace
Agree. Take a look at the first part of the clip, and you can see that the L is clearly watching the ball handler as he is dribbling up the court. Not sure he ever saw that defender until the crash happened.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not understand how a defender is there that long and the official calls a block on them.
Perhaps he is one of the officials that goes to a block if the defender leans back before contact (he was, slightly)
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Teebob -

Welcome to our hoops page and glad to have you aboard but do you find it neccessary to post your schedule from last year??? With all due respect, I doubt anybody cares.
I don't want to derail the thread with an extended reply, but keeping my sig updated with my game info does two things for me: 1) gets me coming back to the forum after each scheduled date to update it/ask questions about anything weird & 2) provides a free online place to keep track of what I've worked. Maybe it's not the best place, but it works for me and provides context to other officials when I ask a question about a particular ruleset so they are aware how much or how little exposure I have had in that ruleset.

Back to basketball, I'm glad to see I was close to the right answers on these. Maybe for the wrong reasons, but still close to the answers given by others on this board.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

This is more of a generic comment about this particular game. I recorded it and have watched most of the 1st half. Early in the game, I thought the game was overly physical and it did not seem like many calls were made for contact, hand checks, etc. It seemed a little better as the game went on. For those of you that watched the game or at least the first half, what was your general assessment? I could go back and find a few plays if need be, but just wanted to get some thoughts going.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2017, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

1. Good "no call" on the potential backcourt as he was dribbling and thus requires all 3 points into the frontcourt.
2. How can we get these plays wrong. I honestly believe this is an extremely easy PC call at the varsity level. If Harry Kitts is still heading up the Minneapolis Officials Association there I'm sure he won't like that one.
3. Really good get. That specific play is tough live.