The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 06, 2017, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Illinois does not have one fee other than playoffs. All areas and conferences have their own standards of payment which can range from private school conferences or different parts of the state. There is no one type of payment.

Peace
What's the rate for first round of playoffs? Best guess at average game fees that you have seen from the conferences and schools you have been to?
Old Wed Dec 06, 2017, 10:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
What's the rate for first round of playoffs? Best guess at average game fees that you have seen from the conferences and schools you have been to?
Not necessarily. Not all payments are by a conference rate. Some schools pay more than others or do not assign games by a conference. Even tournaments can be vastly different.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

NC - Varsity 3-Man= $91.00
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 07:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut ...

Connecticut game fees for 2017-2018: Varsity Fee: $95.90 Subvarsity Fee: $62.22.

Subvarsity includes junior varsity, freshman and middle school games. Almost all two person games. No mileage. 7% assignment fee paid at end of the season.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 07, 2017 at 07:05am.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

In Indiana it breaks down as follows:

V3 - 75-80, no milage
V2 - not used
SV2 - 60 - 65
SV3 - used very little

V3 Tournament - 75-80, plus milage
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

I'm curious where you got your numbers. For Iowa, it varies in the big class (4A) depending on conference. In the Des Moines metro, the 4A conference (CIML) pays $115 for V doubleheader. I've heard on the east side of the state (MVC and MAC) it's closer to $135. No mileage reimbursement until tourney time, then the fees go down and the mileage pay goes up.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(IL) In the suburban Chicago area, it generally ranges from $65 - $82. No mileage. First rounds of playoffs are $72 (state wide)
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It's actually been as high as $75 for a Varsity game in my local area and came down to accommodate 3-man for Girls games. I'm on 2 boards and the range is about $60-65 per Varsity game. I'm thinking those rates would be much hire in Northern VA near and within the Beltway.
Northern VA rates are $86 for varsity (3-person); $71 for sub-varsity (2-person).
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

In Iowa, playoffs are $65/game + mileage. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of $.40 per mile for travel.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I'm curious where you got your numbers. For Iowa, it varies in the big class (4A) depending on conference. In the Des Moines metro, the 4A conference (CIML) pays $115 for V doubleheader. I've heard on the east side of the state (MVC and MAC) it's closer to $135. No mileage reimbursement until tourney time, then the fees go down and the mileage pay goes up.
I searched each states athletic association website. If I couldn't find the officials fees listed there I emailed a secretary or assignor for the area. A few of the numbers were past years as that is the only handbook or list I could find.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 10:02am
TODO: creative title here

Twin Cities (MN) metro area:

Single Varsity (3-person): $81-84
Single Non-varsity (2-person): $58-60

Varsity/JV doubleheader (usually 3-person, although sometimes we have 2 for the JV and a 3rd joining us for the varsity): $111-116.

Varsity doubleheaders are $150ish, I think... I've never worked one, and they don't happen often.

We do not get paid mileage, except for playoffs. For playoff games, we get one mileage allowance for the entire crew. I'm not exactly sure what the per-mile rate is, since I never received it (all of my playoff games last spring were within 10 miles of my house, so I gave the mileage to my partners).
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 10:02am
Stubborn Member

Where in Ohio do varsity officials working 3-man get $80? Here in the Columbus area we get $68 (no mileage).
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I searched each states athletic association website. If I couldn't find the officials fees listed there I emailed a secretary or assignor for the area. A few of the numbers were past years as that is the only handbook or list I could find.
Interesting. It's fun to read through these and see what different areas of the country are getting. I'd be curious to see what the lower end of these numbers are for more rural areas and smaller schools. For small school, I did a game last year with no travel reimbursement that was about an hour and 45 min away that paid $85 for a varsity doubleheader. We usually only get one of those a year, as our assignor is very good about trying to keep us within 60 miles. In fact, I only have one game >60 miles away this year, and it will be a great game between two teams that are traditionally solid programs.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Interesting. It's fun to read through these and see what different areas of the country are getting. I'd be curious to see what the lower end of these numbers are for more rural areas and smaller schools. For small school, I did a game last year with no travel reimbursement that was about an hour and 45 min away that paid $85 for a varsity doubleheader. We usually only get one of those a year, as our assignor is very good about trying to keep us within 60 miles. In fact, I only have one game >60 miles away this year, and it will be a great game between two teams that are traditionally solid programs.
Absolutely, I think that it is good to give a bit of clarity to the independent contractors and I know that there is monthly grumbling at meetings about the pay in our areas.

One surprise to me has been when the states very by conference or district especially when they are so close. We are so short officials in our area you can work as many games as you want literally 6 days a week, everyday but Sunday. If I was located near two districts that paid different, I would only work in the higher paying district. I'm sure that is not the reality but it seems like it would make it difficult for smaller or lower paying schools to get quality officials and fill there schedules, especially with the national shortage of officials.

Another large difference that is coming to light is mileage. Ranges from nothing to full .50/mile reimbursement make a large difference in your take home check at the end of the night.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

One interesting thing I heard the other day is one of those smaller schools that used to pay like $80 for a V doubleheader recently changed their pay because nobody wanted to go there. They pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $130 now for a V DH.