The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 09:54pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Unhappy NBE's Worst - Wizards vs Sixers

My son calls me upstairs and asks me to watch the Wizards vs Sixers tonight, as the Wizards are pulling the "hack-a-shack" on Ben Simmons. I couldn't watch more than five minutes.

Down by 24, in the fourth, every time the Sixers in-bounded the ball, they fouled Simmons - whether he had the ball or not. About 2-3 seconds ran off the clock each time. They fouled him in twelve straight possessions. His FT percentage was atrocious as he alone shot ~ 20 FT's in the quarter! The Sixers had over 60 FT's in the game and both teams combined for 97 FT's! A long, long quarter......

Can you imagine being at the game? Reffing it? Where is the entertainment value? Was this the way basketball was intended to be played? What a joke! I walked away.

The Wizards came back to within three and eventually lost. Why did the Sixers coach keep even him in the game?

Cringe-worthy. I'm sure the pundits will have many comments tomorrow.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Grune, did you happen to see the technical foul assessed on the Philly player with 22.2 seconds left? I would've let that go even in a CYO game.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 04:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Grune, did you happen to see the technical foul assessed on the Philly player with 22.2 seconds left? I would've let that go even in a CYO game.
No. Traditionally, I can't watch the NBA. I only watched for a few minutes in the middle of the 4th Qtr. With all the fouling it was a joke, not basketball as I know it.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I watched this game. I like the NBA rules are such that players are almost "required" to be good free throw shooters or suffer this fate. I also liked Brent Brown letting Simmons work through it and overcome it. The alternative was to risk his psyche by pulling him out.

Lastly, I'd hope nobody would let Saric's ball spike go, where the ball went 20 feet in the air. That's as easy a T as there is.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 12:21pm
AremRed

If you don't like that, then you don't like NBA basketball!
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 03:50pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Is the NBA really basketball? I've heard of it being described more as "sports entertainment" than the sport of basketball.

Of course that may have been a hearsay description of a conversation a friend who was being trained as a rec league official has with the official training him. I'm unsure of the trainer's background.

Off-topic... are adult rec leagues as painful to officiate in basketball as they seem to be in baseball?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerUmp View Post

Off-topic... are adult rec leagues as painful to officiate in basketball as they seem to be in baseball?
Yes. I quit in the middle of the season last year because it was so bad. My assignor was not supportive of the officials, so I told him to find someone else to be abused for $25/hr.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 04:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Is the NBA really basketball? I've heard of it being described more as "sports entertainment" than the sport of basketball.

Yes. And NBA officials are by far the best basketball officials in the country and provide the best training.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Lastly, I'd hope nobody would let Saric's ball spike go, where the ball went 20 feet in the air. That's as easy a T as there is.
I'd pass. Who cares that the ball went 20 feet in the air? It wasn't to taunt, it wasn't to dis the officials and it didn't delay the game. Just a spaz move, nothing more.

And to whoever asked if adult basketball is painful to officiate, here's some advice: Don't try to find out. The worst.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2017, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd pass. Who cares that the ball went 20 feet in the air? It wasn't to taunt, it wasn't to dis the officials and it didn't delay the game. Just a spaz move, nothing more.
Agree. I'm not calling that for those reasons.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2017, 06:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Taunt, Disrespect ...

Quote:
It wasn't to taunt, it wasn't to dis the officials ...
In my high school game, any sign that this was done to taunt, or disrespect, anybody, and I mean even a small sign, and I'm charging a technical foul. Absent those signs, I'm passing, but I will definitely warn the player that he barely dodged a bullet this time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 01, 2017, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

There is nothing in the rules that makes spiking the ball an automatic T even though some officials apply it that way.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2017, 09:50am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Quote:

Of course that may have been a hearsay description of a conversation a friend who was being trained as a rec league official has with the official training him. I'm unsure of the trainer's background.
It was a play on the Sacramento King's announcers tagline:

Old Fri Dec 01, 2017, 10:49am
Do not give a damn!!

What am I missing? Boogie Cousins is not there anymore? Where is the play in question?

Peace