The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request - Louisville vs Purdue (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103179-video-request-louisville-vs-purdue.html)

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Nov 28, 2017 09:46pm

Video Request - Louisville vs Purdue

2nd Half. 6:36 remaining. Players go to the floor after a loose ball. Foul called on Purdue player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50pm

Here is the play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GwbR8-pPFao" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

AremRed Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52pm

Watching live I knew what Szelc saw from his position and was ok with it. I’m still ok with it. Painter shoulda been whacked.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 29, 2017 03:02am

I'm all for calling fouls when players dive into other players and knock them over but the contact was mostly A1's forearm on the shoulder of B1. Not really much there caused by B1. He dove to the floor going for the ball and didn't contact A1 in doing so. I'd hope for a no call on that.

AremRed Wed Nov 29, 2017 03:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1012006)
I'm all for calling fouls when players dive into other players and knock them over but the contact was mostly A1's forearm on the shoulder of B1. Not really much there caused by B1. He dove to the floor going for the ball and didn't contact A1 in doing so. I'd hope for a no call on that.

It's a defendable foul. Edwards is on the ground and his legs come around and help trip the Louisville player to the ground. Watch the angle at 0:22.

Smitty Wed Nov 29, 2017 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1012007)
It's a defendable foul. Edwards is on the ground and his legs come around and help trip the Louisville player to the ground. Watch the angle at 0:22.

That's ridiculous. He drives straight toward the ball. The Louisville player takes himself off the floor. There's no foul here.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 29, 2017 08:33am

Quote:

We tend to let too much go on these types of plays -- but this is one where we should have passed, imo.

ballgame99 Wed Nov 29, 2017 09:18am

Quote:

If I could 'like' a post I would like this one. My thoughts exactly.

bucky Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22pm

As usual, I am going to read waaay more into it...

Bad call and not a defensive foul, plus red got it anyway, however.....

I feel that the ref was disappointed that he did not possibly have a cylinder foul and, moreso, passed on the defensive armbar for 2 dribbles. Then he felt obligated to the offense (shot clock at 10) and all that pulled his trigger. The reaction from the defensive player/coach/crowd would have been much less had he initially called, in a selling fashion, the defensive armbar.

This type of "psychological" call is frequent. Official hesitates on one thing then reacts to quickly on the next.

Raymond Wed Nov 29, 2017 02:36pm

Again, we have a play that may have looked one way on the court, but was actually something else now that we go to the video.

I can understand the call b/c it does look like the Purdue player took out the Louisville player's legs. But once you review the video, you see that's not the case.

So now, for me, that puts a little catalog entry in my brain to make sure I actually see contact on this type of play before putting a whistle on it.