The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot clock and kick ball in back court NCAA-M (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103177-shot-clock-kick-ball-back-court-ncaa-m.html)

Sharpshooternes Tue Nov 28, 2017 03:07pm

Shot clock and kick ball in back court NCAA-M

A has ball in BC. Kicked ball by defense at seconds. What does the shot clock and ten second count as well.

What do you have?

Shot clock is at 14. A throws the ball into the back court on a throw in. A passes and B kicks the ball. What does the shot clock do?

JRutledge Tue Nov 28, 2017 04:45pm

The shot clock resets to 20 seconds on kicked ball.

On the second play, they get 10 seconds had reached the FC. That is the only way you could have 14 seconds on the shot clock that I can think of an not have had a previous violation.

Peace

johnny d Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:58pm

On the first play, since there has to be more than 20 seconds on the shot clock or a backcourt violation would have been called, the shot clock remains on whatever number it is on. The 10 second count resets. The 10 second count is reset on all stoppages except when the defense causes the ball to be out of bounds, the offense retains possession after a held ball, or there is a technical foul on the offense. In every situation, the offense can buy a new 10 second count by calling a timeout.

In situation 2, the shot clock will be reset to 20 seconds. Anytime there is a kicking violation on the defense and the shot clock is below 20, it gets reset to 20. If the shot clock is above 20, it remains where it is at.

Pay no attention to JRut, he is confused and his answer is incorrect.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 29, 2017 02:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 1011999)
On the first play, since there has to be more than 20 seconds on the shot clock or a backcourt violation would have been called, the shot clock remains on whatever number it is on.

Not necessarily. Team A might have had a throw-in in the middle of the shot clock or the ball might have been tipped from the frontcourt into the backcourt at any point in the shot clock. The shot clock wouldn't be reset and could easily be below 20.

Raymond Wed Nov 29, 2017 09:47am

First of all, the rule book is wrong in regards to kicked balls in the backcourt. Based on smashing a few rules together, if a kick ball occurs in the BC at 20+, there is no reset, but if a kick ball occurs below 20, it is reset to 30.

On Nov. 2nd Art Hyland sent out a rules clarification that reads as follows:

"e. Kicked ball by the defense in Team A’s backcourt – 20 second reset or time remaining on the shot-clock whichever is greater. (Rule 2-11.6.f) "

Indianaref Wed Nov 29, 2017 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1012017)
First of all, the rule book is wrong in regards to kicked balls in the backcourt. Based on smashing a few rules together, if a kick ball occurs in the BC at 20+, there is no reset, but if a kick ball occurs below 20, it is reset to 30. (Rule 2-11.6.f) [/I]"

You meant 20?

JRutledge Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1012017)
First of all, the rule book is wrong in regards to kicked balls in the backcourt. Based on smashing a few rules together, if a kick ball occurs in the BC at 20+, there is no reset, but if a kick ball occurs below 20, it is reset to 30.

On Nov. 2nd Art Hyland sent out a rules clarification that reads as follows:

"e. Kicked ball by the defense in Team A’s backcourt – 20 second reset or time remaining on the shot-clock whichever is greater. (Rule 2-11.6.f) "

I thought there was something else. There have been a few clarifications after the fact.

Peace

Raymond Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 1012021)
You meant 20?

No, I meant 30 as I typed. That's how the rule book reads. I even sent it into Art Hyland last month. I wasn't the only one who did so.

The November 2nd clarification is an acknowledgement that the rule book is wrong.