The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Creighton @ Northwestern plays (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103139-creighton-northwestern-plays-video.html)

JRutledge Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45pm

Creighton @ Northwestern plays (Video)

Play #1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zjqB_zX2Xdg" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Play #2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l8GnAA9tYss" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

AremRed Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:49pm

Play 1: Block, Lead's call. Shouldn't be any discussion about this -- Lead has all secondary defenders sliding over. Slot should be refereeing the beated primary defender on the backside.

Play 2: TC pass and crash foul, Lead's call. Slot does not need a whistle here.

bas2456 Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:17am

Another thought on Play 1...

Looks like the C *might* have been blocked out from the contact anyway based on other players' positioning.

That said, I agree with the above. That's a secondary defender coming down from in the lane. L's call all the way.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 16, 2017 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1011508)
Play 1: Block, Lead's call. Shouldn't be any discussion about this -- Lead has all secondary defenders sliding over. Slot should be refereeing the beated primary defender on the backside.

Play 2: TC pass and crash foul, Lead's call. Slot does not need a whistle here.

On 2 -- I'm okay with C having a whistle. L often goes (and needs to go) with the ball since it was passed into / remaining in his primary (or close to it -- especially on transition when T isn't down the floor yet). Had the pass gone to the other side (C's side) of the court, then L gets the call and C goes with the ball.

BryanV21 Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13am

1. It's an obvious situation where the L has the secondary defender, therefore it's his call.

2. I don't see why the C has a whistle on this play. It would be one thing if there were no players (let alone there being an offensive and defensive player) in his area, so you could argue that with two defenders around the dribbler the C is looking for one of them to be the secondary defender.

Furthermore, shouldn't the lead close down to the lane since there was no defender on the perimeter?

Raymond Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:51am

1) Easily the Lead's call--Secondary defender in or near the paint. And the C completely takes himself out of the play with his movement. He had no reason to move.

2) C does not need a whistle on this play. Crash occurred immediately upon release of the pass so the Lead's eyes are still on A1. Additionally, the C has another defender between him and the crash. When you have multiple defenders, referee the defender that is closest to you.

JRutledge Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20am

1. I think the L got lucky on this one as this is way over in the C's primary. I do not agree that this is the L's call all the way. The L should have rotated if he is going to get this for the most part. The contact took place mostly out of the lane.

2. This is a transition play, where anyone can see this and call it. I have no issues with the C calling this as he has an open look more likely. The L was in great position and mostly on his side. But if something is not called on this, the crew is going to hear about it, not just one official over the other.

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:17pm

1. Lead's all the way. Secondary defender coming form L's primary. C could have picked it up late and would not have as good of a view as L.

2. No problem with C being on this. Pass and Crash with the ball going to L's side. L will be going with the pass since there is no way the C could/should cover that pass from across the lane. There happened to be no defense on the pass so it want necessary to cover it but that isn't part of the coverage criteria and would be hard to implement if it were. No problem with the L either since the crash happened right at the time of the pass so he'd still have been on it.

Scrapper1 Sun Nov 19, 2017 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1011565)
1. Lead's all the way. Secondary defender coming form L's primary. C could have picked it up late and would not have as good of a view as L.

2. No problem with C being on this. Pass and Crash with the ball going to L's side. L will be going with the pass since there is no way the C could/should cover that pass from across the lane. There happened to be no defense on the pass so it want necessary to cover it but that isn't part of the coverage criteria and would be hard to implement if it were. No problem with the L either since the crass happened right at the time of the pass so he'd still have been on it.

I'm with Camron on this.

SC Official Sun Nov 19, 2017 05:28pm

Would like for the L to stop the clock on #1.