The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Resumption Of Play Procedure .,.. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103079-resumption-play-procedure.html)

BillyMac Tue Oct 31, 2017 07:37pm

Resumption Of Play Procedure .,..

The resumption of play procedure is to be used instead of technical fouls after timeouts, or intermissions. After time out, throwin team delays, put the ball on the floor, and continue the procedure from there. After time out, free throw shooter delays outside the semicircle, put the ball on the floor, and continue the procedure from there.

Not after timeout, free throw shooter delays outside the semicircle, charge an immediate technical foul (don't put the ball on the floor).

I've found citations for all of the above, but I've having problems finding citations for below.

Not after timeout, throwin team delays. I would do the same as the resumption of play procedure, put the ball on the floor, and continue the procedure from there. I wouldn't charge an immediate technical foul here.

Is this correct? Citation please.

SC Official Tue Oct 31, 2017 07:40pm

NFHS: “The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a throw-in team does not make a thrower available OR following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.”

You can always use ROP in a throw-in situation even if it's not after a timeout or intermission. Conversely, you cannot use ROP for free throws unless after a timeout or intermission.

The NCAAM rule is different.

BillyMac Wed Nov 01, 2017 05:48am

Or ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1010870)
You can always use ROP in a throw-in situation even if it's not after a timeout or intermission. Conversely, you cannot use ROP for free throws unless after a timeout or intermission.

Missed the important word "or" in the rule (it's easier to spot when you capitalize it and boldface it). Thanks.

I wonder why the NFHS wants us to go to an immediate technical foul not after a time out on a free throw, rather than going to the resumption of play procedure and putting the ball on the floor at the free throw line?

bob jenkins Wed Nov 01, 2017 06:56am

9.2.9 is also a reference for putting the ball on the floor for the throw-in

BryanV21 Wed Nov 01, 2017 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1010878)
Missed the important word "or" in the rule (it's easier to spot when you capitalize it and boldface it). Thanks.

I wonder why the NFHS wants us to go to an immediate technical foul not after a time out on a free throw, rather than going to the resumption of play procedure and putting the ball on the floor at the free throw line?

Maybe because you can give the benefit of the doubt to a team not knowing the timeout had ended. But if they're on the court (there was no TO), then there's no reason for them to delay.

BillyMac Wed Nov 01, 2017 07:40pm

Much Thanks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1010879)

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1010891)
Maybe because you can give the benefit of the doubt to a team not knowing the timeout had ended. But if they're on the court (there was no TO), then there's no reason for them to delay.

Reasonable explanation. Thanks.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 02, 2017 07:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1010891)

Wouldn't the same be true in the throw-in situation? So, why are throw-ins and FTs treated differently?

BryanV21 Thu Nov 02, 2017 08:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1010903)
Wouldn't the same be true in the throw-in situation? So, why are throw-ins and FTs treated differently?

Yeah. *shrugs*

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

BillyMac Fri Nov 03, 2017 05:52am

Who ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1010903)
So, why are throw-ins and FTs treated differently?

Not sure. Anybody can make a throwin; with rare exceptions, only one can attempt a free throw. But isn't that logic "backwards"?

BryanV21 Fri Nov 03, 2017 07:28pm

NFHS: "Shut up and do what I tell you!"

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Nov 04, 2017 04:17pm

On The Floor (Used Correctly) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1010879)

9.2.9 SITUATION: Following a violation, the official has properly signaled and
awarded a throw-in to Team A at a designated spot. No Team A player comes to
the spot even though the official has allowed ample time for them to respond. The
official then places the ball on the floor and begins the five-second count. (a) Both
A1 and A2 step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball; or (b) both A1 and A2
step out of bounds and A1 picks up the ball and hands it to A2. RULING: In (a),
A2 must immediately return inbounds. In (b), it is a throw-in violation when A1
hands the ball to A2.