The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Are coaches born like this? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103074-coaches-born-like.html)

Mark Padgett Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38am

Are coaches born like this?

Here's a short video showing coaches acting like coaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejCZkA6kCNM

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:41am

“It’s 9-3?”

WHACK! “No, now it’s 10-3.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:46am

Embedding is your friend

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 1010780)
Here's a short video showing coaches acting like coaches.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ejCZkA6kCNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW, we have posted this a few times here. I have used the videos several times in my presentations. :)

Peace

UNIgiantslayers Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03am

Stripes: "He can bobble it all the way down the court. Gotta have possession."
Coach: "He's gotta have possession? I've never heard that before."

Subconscious: "You would if you'd read the rule book."
Me: "Rule 4, Coach."

HokiePaul Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:34pm

At 13 seconds in, the coach does have a point. I try to avoid "coaching" the players just for this reason.

grunewar Mon Oct 30, 2017 07:10pm

At 2:00 "WHACK!"

Coach, "I didn't even curse!"

LOL!!!!

Camron Rust Mon Oct 30, 2017 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1010784)
Stripes: "He can bobble it all the way down the court. Gotta have possession."
Coach: "He's gotta have possession? I've never heard that before."

Subconscious: "You would if you'd read the rule book."
Me: "Rule 4, Coach."

More accurately worded... "Gotta be holding the ball [to travel]", not just have possession. There is one exception, but this isn't it.

Multiple Sports Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:30pm

In many of these clips, referees were responding to statements and not to questions......WALK AWAY !!!!!

We are our own worst enemies at times.

thumpferee Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34pm

I have T's @ 1:05, 1:57, and 2:15. @ 2:15 the coach says he was already T'd up.
Why is he standing AND complaining?!

JRutledge Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1010805)
More accurately worded... "Gotta be holding the ball [to travel]", not just have possession. There is one exception, but this isn't it.

Are you really telling a coach all of that? Why?

Peace

JRutledge Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1010808)
In many of these clips, referees were responding to statements and not to questions......WALK AWAY !!!!!

We are our own worst enemies at times.

Yeah, that used to work, not so much anymore. You better respond to some statements or you will have a horrible night, if for no other reason to address situations so they do not continue.

Peace

AremRed Tue Oct 31, 2017 01:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1010809)

You're calling a tech at 1:57 for real?

Obviously these are in a vacuum but I am likely to have techs at 0:36, 1:09, 1:21, 1:29, 1:34.

2:00 sounds like he was about to get into tech territory for me, should have let the coach talk a little longer and hang himself.

There are some hilarious ones in there. :D

Camron Rust Tue Oct 31, 2017 05:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1010809)

Of those, I only have T for 1:05. I would even think of a T for the other 2.

Camron Rust Tue Oct 31, 2017 05:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1010816)

Obviously these are in a vacuum but I am likely to have techs at 0:36, 1:09, 1:21, 1:29, 1:34.

2:00 sounds like he was about to get into tech territory for me, should have let the coach talk a little longer and hang himself.

Of those, 1:09, maybe 1:21 depending on circumstances, & 1:34.

But, on some, there are two possibilities of plays since the clips a re short and the times are close to two possible situations.

Some, I'm just ignoring the coach. Only if it were extended or repetitive would many of those get my attention.

SC Official Tue Oct 31, 2017 08:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1010813)

I think he meant he would only tell the coach the part that was in quotes, i.e. "Gotta be holding the ball [to travel]"

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1010814)
Yeah, that used to work, not so much anymore. You better respond to some statements or you will have a horrible night, if for no other reason to address situations so they do not continue.

Amen.

"Respond to questions, not statements" is another example of overused camp speak that in reality is not going to be successful for most people as a universal guideline.

thumpferee Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1010816)

@ 1:57 the coach says "you're givin them, etc". To me it insinuates cheating. In a game I may not have T'd him but would have been addressed!

@ 2:15 I wouldn't have T'd him for his comment. As I said, he mentioned getting T'd earlier which means he should be sitting.

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:03am

Coach (screaming): "How come we have 8 fouls and they only have 2?"
Me: "Because your team fouls too much - DUH."

JRutledge Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1010825)

Amen.

"Respond to questions, not statements" is another example of overused camp speak that in reality is not going to be successful for most people as a universal guideline.

College supervisor just told us how silly that stance is now about not addressing statements a few weeks ago. I just think if you do not address them, things will get worse in their behavior. Yes, you should not comment every time they speak, but you certainly cannot ignore constant statements when you are in front of them. I would never say you have to even have a long conversation, but you might need to address bad behavior when warranted.

Peace

SC Official Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1010838)
College supervisor just told us how silly that stance is now about not addressing statements a few weeks ago. I just think if you do not address them, things will get worse in their behavior. Yes, you should not comment every time they speak, but you certainly cannot ignore constant statements when you are in front of them. I would never say you have to even have a long conversation, but you might need to address bad behavior when warranted.

Peace

It might work at lower levels with less experienced officials and clueless coaches, but once you get to varsity basketball ignoring every statement is going to invite more trouble.

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 31, 2017 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1010838)
Yes, you should not comment every time they speak, but you certainly cannot ignore constant statements when you are in front of them.

One thing that has worked for me in that type of situation, rather than trying to give "answers" to a bunch of statements, is to ask, "Coach, do you have a question for me?". Sometimes that re-directs them just enough so they focus on one thing and you can answer and move on.

Sometimes you just get a sarcastic jerk who will say, "Yeah, when are you gonna stop making bad calls"? And then you have to decide how to handle him/her.

But that question has worked for me in the past.

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 31, 2017 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1010813)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron

Peace

I think Camron is only going to say the part actually in the quotation marks. "Gotta be holding the ball, Coach". That explains why you didn't call the travel.

BillyMac Tue Oct 31, 2017 04:46pm

Like, Or Like Like ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1010854)
"Coach, do you have a question for me."

Where's the "Like" button on this Forum?

Camron Rust Tue Oct 31, 2017 07:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1010825)
I think he meant he would only tell the coach the part that was in quotes, i.e. "Gotta be holding the ball [to travel]"

Precisely.

griblets Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:35pm

I like the play from 0:57 to 1:04. "You're too far away to even see it." Says the coach who was 40 feet further away than the trail!

jeremy341a Thu Nov 02, 2017 02:20pm

Does anyone mind the jacket toss at 0:11?

Kansas Ref Thu Nov 02, 2017 03:26pm

tossing that jacket in disdain

I re-played that jacket toss about 3 times in order to see if there were non-verbal cues and if an official was within the sight-line of the jacket toss. I know some NCAA-level refs who immediately "T" up a coach for that action; however, as an NF level official I concluded that the suit jacket toss "action" was not especially acerbic nor dramatic, but simply indicative of either disdain for his player's performance or an official's call. If I were officiating that game, I'd err towards not penalizing the "suit jacket toss" as again it did not appear to be terribly dramatic.

Smitty Thu Nov 02, 2017 03:32pm

Without more context I find myself going through the whole video and not seeing a single one of those clips that in and of themselves were T-worthy for me. And I'm not one to shy away from T-ing up a coach. There's certainly some acidic comments, but it all depends on what had happened leading up to those moments for me to say I'd T on the basis of those comments alone. Not compelling enough for me.

UNIgiantslayers Thu Nov 02, 2017 03:34pm

Agreed. That wasn't too dramatic. No need to hunt for T's, they'll call themselves.

Mark Padgett Thu Nov 02, 2017 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1010920)

I would have gone over, picked up the jacket, given it to the scorer and told him to hold onto it for me until the end of the game. If the coach then came over to me and asked me what I thought I was doing, I would have said that since he didn't want it anymore, I was going to sell it on eBay. :p

JRutledge Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:35am

Quote:

I probably would not have noticed and if I did I would have done nothing. Why would that even raise any eyebrows? Very tame compared to most of the stuff on here.

Peace

jeremy341a Tue Nov 07, 2017 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1010947)
I probably would not have noticed and if I did I would have done nothing. Why would that even raise any eyebrows? Very tame compared to most of the stuff on here.

Peace

I was asking only bc I knew some people that claim jacket is automatic. I have thought that it would depend on how demonstrative it is.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Nov 07, 2017 03:37pm

Quote:

This isn't a jacket toss. This is a jacket laydown. I had no problem with this one. I've seen much worse in games I've watched and in games I've worked, and they've been appropriately penalized.

I'd like to know how many points behind on the scoreboard the coaches in each of these situations was. I'm not saying you have to be losing the game to get out of hand, but most of the time, I think that's the case.

JRutledge Tue Nov 07, 2017 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1011095)
I was asking only bc I knew some people that claim jacket is automatic. I have thought that it would depend on how demonstrative it is.

If he tossed it in anger maybe. But setting down your jacket is not what I think many people are calling automatic. And I think we have to get rid of the "automatics" when it comes to giving a T. We always need context.

Peace

BillyMac Tue Nov 07, 2017 07:22pm

Water Color Memories ...

Bobby Knight didn't toss that chair in anger, it was just a chair laydown.

zm1283 Tue Nov 07, 2017 08:25pm

The jacket toss at :11 would not even register with me if I saw it. He was setting it down.

The "9 to 3" comment at about 1:05 would get at least a written warning and possibly a technical depending on how the game has gone, especially since he repeats it and ends the exchange with "Figure it out".

The guy at 1:30 is standing right in front of the table, which should get a written warning.

And of course the guy at 2:00 is a clown. "I didn't even say anything!!"